Applescript doesn't want to play on Leopard?

Ok, this stems from my post over at http://bbs.macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?pid=101473

Is it just me or is applescript a little buggered on Leopard? I’ve got 10.5.4 and trying to run up some simple scripts. However I’ve run into problems including:

• the DELAY command stops the script altogether.
  • scripts to send off MAIL stops after sending the seventh mail.

Is anyone else experiencing this sort of problem? :mad:

Hi,

does it work to send all files in one mail

on adding folder items to thefolder after receiving theAddedItems
	set theSender to "me@mac.com"
	set recipCommon to "me"
	set recipAddress to "me@mac.com"
	set msgText to "My Files"

tell application "Mail"
		set newmessage to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:"My Files", content:msgText & return & return}
		tell newmessage
			set sender to theSender
			make new to recipient with properties {name:recipCommon, address:recipAddress}
			repeat with eachitem in theAddedItems
				tell content to make new attachment with properties {file name:eachitem} at after the last paragraph
			end repeat
		end tell

send newmessage
	end tell

tell application "Finder"
		move theAddedItems to folder ((path to documents folder as text) & "myfiles:sent:")
	end tell
end adding folder items to

Hi StefanK, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately not. Each file needs to be attached to a single email. I posted the problem on another forum and someone pointed out that Mail.app is just a little flaky when it comes to handling scripts. I’ve re-adjusted my script for use with Entourage and I’m getting better results albeit still not 100% successful.

on adding folder items to themailfolder after receiving theAddedItems
    repeat with eachitem in theAddedItems

tell application "Microsoft Entourage"
            activate
            set newmessage to make new draft window with properties {to recipients:"me@mac.com", subject:"My Files", attachment:{file:eachitem}}
            send newmessage

move eachitem to "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:sent"
            end tell
        end tell

end repeat
end adding folder items to

Let me explain more about what I’m trying to achieve. I have a dictaphone that stores recordings in 5 folders. When I connect the dictaphone, it downloads all recordings to respective Folders A through to E. I need the script/s to check each folder for files and automatically email them off then move them to a sent folder. Each folder can contain one or more recordings.

What I find with my new revised script above when I apply it to each fodler - is that one of two things will happen. Either all the files from one folder will get sent and moved or the first file from each folder gets sent and moved. Everything else stays where it is.

I’m beginning to think the trigger “on adding folder items” might not be the best way to achieve this. Perhaps I should link it to checking for the dictaphone being plugged in then scan all subfolders for files.

Any input gratefully welcome!

In this case it would be easier to check whether the dictaphone is connected and
scan the folders. Launchd is a good way to do this.
Sending multiple mails in Mail.app works quite reliably if
there is a delay of some seconds between creating the outgoing mails

Yea, I’ve actually opted for an even simpler approach than even that now - just periodically check the folders. However, I can’t get the damn thing to pickup “entire contents”. I keep getting an Applescript erro saying it “Can’t get the contents…”. Am I missing somehting here :confused:

property idletimeout : 60

on MoveFiles()
        set NewFiles to every file of entire contents of "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:message"

repeat with eachfile in NewFiles
                activate
                set newmessage to make new draft window with properties {to recipients:"me@mac.com", subject:"MY Files", attachment:{file:eachfile}}
                send newmessage
            end tell

move eachfile to "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:sent"
            end tell
        end repeat
    end tell
end MoveFiles

on run
    MoveFiles()
end run

on idle
    MoveFiles()
    return idletimeout
end idle

set NewFiles to every file of entire contents of folder "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:message:"

That was anoyingly simple!! Cheers! :rolleyes:

Hey StefanK, I’m tantalisingly close to making this work. Thought you might be able to help with one last bit as I got this IDLE handler from an earlier post of yours (I am saving as STAY OPEN). I can’t seem to get this script to run every 10 seconds though. Runs fine when executed manually though :smiley:

property idletimeout : 10

on MoveFiles()
        set filecount to (count of files in entire contents of folder "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:message")
        if filecount = 0 then
            return idletimeout
        else
            try
                set NewFiles to every file of entire contents of folder "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:message" as alias list
            on error
                set NewFiles to every file of entire contents of folder "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:message" as alias as list
            end try
        end if
    end tell

activate
            set newmessage to make new draft window with properties {to recipients:"me@mac.com", subject:"My Files", attachment:{file:eachfile}}
            send newmessage
        end tell

end tell

end repeat
end MoveFiles

on run
    MoveFiles()
end run

on idle
    MoveFiles()
    return idletimeout
end idle

save it as application

Yea, done that too. Won’t let me tick the box STAY OPEN if I don’t.

Well… solved. Had to save it as an “Application Bundle” for some reason but that got it working. Here’s my complete script for prosperity :smiley:

property idletimeout : 60

on MoveFiles()
        set filecount to (count of files in entire contents of folder "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:message")
        if filecount = 0 then
            return idletimeout
        else
            try
                set NewFiles to every file of entire contents of folder "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:message" as alias list
            on error
                set NewFiles to every file of entire contents of folder "Macintosh HD:Users:admin:documents:myfiles:message" as alias as list
            end try
        end if
    end tell

activate
            set newmessage to make new draft window with properties {to recipients:"me@mac.com", subject:"My Files", attachment:{file:eachfile}}
            send newmessage
        end tell

end tell

end repeat
end MoveFiles

on run
    MoveFiles()
end run

on idle
    MoveFiles()