applescript help move files after converting

Good Day All!

I quite a newbie in applescripting… I have created a script that resaves a .tif file into .eps using illustrator 10. What I want is the user will select the tiff original folder and the eps destination folder… it selects all the tif files in the original folder open it in illustrator resaves it into eps and move that eps to the destination folder. On my script the eps file staying on the original folder.

set the topLevelFolder to choose folder with prompt "Source Folder?" as string
tell application "Finder"
	set AllFiles to name of every file of folder topLevelFolder as list
end tell

set myPath to choose folder with prompt "Destination folder?" as string

tell application "Finder" to set fileName to AllFiles

tell application "Adobe Illustrator 10"
	repeat with i in AllFiles
		set OpenThisDoc to ((topLevelFolder as string) & i) as alias
		open OpenThisDoc
		if (count of documents) > 0 then
			set myInteractLevel to user interaction level
			set user interaction level to never interact
			set myPath to file path of document 1 as string
			if myPath ends with ".tif" then
				try
					repeat with myPage from 1 to 1
						open alias myPath with options {page:myPage}
						set myNewPath to myPath
						repeat with myCharNum from (count of characters of myNewPath) to 1 by -1
							if character myCharNum of myNewPath = "." then
								if myCharNum > (count of characters of myNewPath) - 5 then set myNewPath to (text of characters 1 thru (myCharNum - 1) of myNewPath) as string
								exit repeat
							end if
						end repeat
						set myNewPath to myNewPath & ".eps"
						save document 1 in file myPath as eps
						close document 1 saving no
					end repeat
				end try
			end if
			set user interaction level to myInteractLevel
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

all of this script is just cut and paste… totally no idea but it worked :slight_smile:

thanks in advance

Model: iMac g3 candy blue
AppleScript: 1.10.7
Browser: Safari 419.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

AppleScript can filter the files for you so you’re not checking every file, but just those that are tiffs:

set the topLevelFolder to choose folder with prompt "Source Folder?" as string
	try
		set AllFiles to (files of topLevelFolder where its file type is "TIFF") as alias list
	on error -- the line above will error if there is only one file, so the line below is used.
		set AllFiles to (files of toplevlefolder where its file type is "TIFF") as alias as list
	end try
end tell
--> a list of aliases to every tiff file in the designated folder including those in internal folders.

That elimates the need to check. I don’t have Illustrator and you don’t ask a question, so I’ll stop.

As far as the Illustrator stuff goes, this format will now open each and save it as an eps file in the same folder it came from. If you want to save it somewhere else, more is required.

tell "Adobe Illustrator 10"
repeat with i in AllFiles
	open i
	save i as eps
	close i saving no
end repeat
end tell

sorry about that :slight_smile: I just wanted the script I made to simply resave the tiff files in the original folder and convert that tiff files to EPS moved to the destination folder… its like a batch tiff resaver script :slight_smile:

thanks in advance

when I run my original script the eps is saving in the original folder… did I scripted something wrong?

thanks again

Sorry again, I read this late… how?

thanks again

set sourceFolder to choose folder with prompt "Choose the TIF source folder" as string
set targetFolder to choose folder with prompt "Choose the EPS target folder" as string

-- Thanks for this bit Adam
	try
		set tiffFiles to (files of sourceFolder where its file type is "TIFF" or its name extension is "tif") as alias list
	on error -- the line above will error if there is only one file, so the line below is used.
		set tiffFiles to (files of sourceFolder where its file type is "TIFF" or its name extension is "tif") as alias as list
	end try
end tell

tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
	set user interaction level to never interact
	repeat with aFile in tiffFiles
		open aFile without dialogs
		set theName to name of document 1
		set savePath to (targetFolder & (text 1 thru -5 of theName) & ".eps") as string
		save document 1 in file savePath as eps
		close document 1 saving no
	end repeat
end tell

Adam and James,

Thank you soooo much!!!

this really helped me.

More power to you guys and Macscripter… a place where applescript problems are solved :slight_smile:

James,

One last favor :slight_smile: how can I code this as a folder action? hehe I never tried scripting a folder action before…

thanks in advance

Model: iMac g3 candy blue
AppleScript: 1.10.7
Browser: Safari 419.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)