AppleScript Studio Webview help

Ok, I ran into a brick wall. I’m trying to view a URL in WebView using variables in the URL address. This code works if I just put in a URL for “set theURL to ” in the code, but whenever I try to add variables, nothing happens. I don’t get an error message, but all that shows up in WebView is a white page.

So I know I must not be defining my variables in the right place or right way, but I’ve been spending the last 2 hours playing around with them to no avail. Any suggestions?

Here’s the code

on clicked theObject

GetURL()
end clicked

on end editing theObject
	GetURL()
end end editing

on GetURL()

tell window "main"
		set theStreet to (the content of text field "theStreet") as string
		set postalcode to (the content of text field "postalCode") as string
		set stateprovince to (the content of text field "stateProvince") as string

set theURL to "http://www.whitepages.com/search/ReverseAddress?street=" & theStreet & "&city_zip=" & postalcode & "&state_id=" & stateprovince

try
			set URLWithString to call method "URLWithString:" of class "NSURL" with parameter theURL
			set requestWithURL to call method "requestWithURL:" of class "NSURLRequest" with parameter URLWithString

set mainFrame to call method "mainFrame" of object (view "browser" of window "main")

call method "loadRequest:" of mainFrame with parameter requestWithURL
		end try
	end tell
end GetURL

Moving to AS Studio & Xcode… (Thanks, hendo13)

sorry about that, should’ve checked which forum I was posting in more closely

Hi George,

there is one mistake in this line:

set mainFrame to call method "mainFrame" of object (view "browser" of window "main")

which results that you address view “browser” of window “main” of window “main” :wink:

But I don’t think that’s your problem …

I am not 100% sure but I think the problem has something to do with illegal characters in your address string (Unicode??) since the method "URLWithString resulted nothin in your script. I was able to solve the problem here by adding a further call method:

on GetURL()

tell window "main"
		set theStreet to (the content of text field "theStreet")
		set postalcode to (the content of text field "postalCode")
		set stateprovince to (the content of text field "stateProvince")

set theURL to "http://www.whitepages.com/search/ReverseAddress?street=" & theStreet & "&city_zip=" & postalcode & "&state_id=" & stateprovince as text		

try
			set newString to (call method "stringByAddingPercentEscapesUsingEncoding:" of theURL with parameter 30)
			set URLWithString to call method "URLWithString:" of class "NSURL" with parameter newString
			set requestWithURL to call method "requestWithURL:" of class "NSURLRequest" with parameter URLWithString

set mainFrame to call method "mainFrame" of object (view "browser")

call method "loadRequest:" of mainFrame with parameter requestWithURL
		on error errmsg
			log errmsg
		end try
	end tell
end GetURL

hope that helps …

D.

Thank you, Dominik. That worked perfectly!