Applescript to change default mail app

Good morning!

I am in need of an applescript that will change de default mail app from “Thunderbird” to “Mail” (and back).

Why?

We are sending e-mails (with attachments) from Filemaker.
one of my colleagues uses Thunderbird as his mail client.
Filemaker and Thunderbird are not the best friends.
So, for him to use the Filemaker send mail script, the easy thing to do is - we think - to change this default (and back) with applescript.

The script should check the setting and change it.

Help would be appreciated

greetz,

Dick

Model: iMac
AppleScript: 2.2.4
Browser: Firefox 23.0
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.8)

Hello.

You can choose smtp server in the script step, instead of the default mail client. Now that is some tailoring for your Thunderbird using colleague, but it should work, without intervening with his default mail client.

You can read about it here.

You’ll choose the smtp server option, and just replicate the default mail account’s smtp settings, and password!

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the reply

I know that I can opt for SMTP (and that this bypasses Thunderbird).
But this is not what I’m after…
With SMTP there is no option to overlook the mail before it’s on its way and make some last changes.

We want to force the mail to be send in OSX Mail

thanks anyway

:slight_smile:

Dick

Hello.

Something of the easisest I can think of is for your collegaue is to install The right version of RCDefaultApp.

Then open the system preferences, The pane for Default Apps, chose the tab for internet to the left, and choose email client. That is three movements and clicks. It can be done with one or two clicks by scripting. Which will roughly take me and hour with testing and all.

So please try the RCDefaultsApps Preference pane first. Try it yourself, so you can instruct your collegua.