AS app can't open other app in 10.3

Hi all,

I’m working on this application that uses another (scriptable)application (PDFpen) to do its things. Now I have my application working in 10.4 without a problem, but when I open it in 10.3, all hell brakes loose :frowning:

I’ve eliminated all sorts of causes and I think the main problem is that it doesn’t start properly when PDFpen isn’t opened manually. So I open PDFpen first then my application opens. When I don’t open it manually my applications starts taking up to 95% of cpu and hangs :frowning:

I’ve tried including a couple of things in the willopen.
In 10.4 this one works fine:

tell application “PDFpen”
activate
end tell

in the attempts to get 10.3 working I’ve tried:

tell xxx to do shell sccript “open /Applications/PDFpen.app”

run
end tell

I have the feeling my app can’t find PDFpen or something; is there a way to tell it where it’s installed??

TIA

Skip

Ok I think I found a part of it… even when I make a new script in script editor and run:

end tell

(can’t get any simpler then this :slight_smile:

script editor crashes, so I guess I’ll contact the guys from smileonyourmac :frowning:

Thanks anyway

Hi,

Here’s some other things you can try.

tell app “PDFpen” to launch

tell app “Finder” to open file “path:to:appname.app”

Try double checking the name of the app.

gl,

Your not going to believe this but

tell app “PDFpen” to launch

WORKS :slight_smile:

Althought ‘activate’ should work as well and I have been talking to PDFpen support for a while, this actually fixes it.

Thanks a million

Skip

I don’t believe it! :slight_smile:

but I still do have this weird thing :frowning:

After some more testing it suddenly stoped working and I couldn’t get it to work anymore.
After creating a new user it starts working again… Even for the original user (I haven’t tested this properly yet)…

I’m sure it’s not an issue of my script, but more of PDFpen and 10.3 :frowning:

Maybe something privileges related, I’m not sure