[AS][MSExcel]Copy rows from multiple files into one file

I’m writing a script that will take a folder of excel files (about 4 files total), use a repeat loop to go thru each one and determine the area of content to copy via the first empty cell found in a set column, paste that content into the main file in a desitnation found via the first empty cell found in a set column. Problem is the script seems to revert to a destination reference in the file to copy instead of the main file. Below is the code, help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I found that I had to be repetitive in using “tell app MSExcel…” other wise the script would revert into telling “Finder”.

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""
set i to {}
tell application "Finder"
	activate
	set thePath to alias "Work:Users:mcreynos:Desktop:Jan Outlines:PrintTracking-Tests:PT Main_Read-Only.xls"
	set theMMFolders to alias "Work:Users:mcreynos:Desktop:Jan Outlines:PrintTracking-Tests:PT-MM Files:PT-20000s.xls"
	set theTargetFile to thePath
	set theMMFiles to theMMFolders
	tell application "Microsoft Excel"
		open theTargetFile
		repeat with i from 1 to count of theMMFiles
		open file i of  theMMFiles
			tell file i of   theMMFiles
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set theMMWorksheet to the worksheet "Sheet1"
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set MMSearchValue to column 5 of theMMWorksheet
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set MMAfterCell to cell "E1" in theMMWorksheet
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set TheMMSearch to find MMSearchValue what "" after MMAfterCell look in values look at whole search direction search next
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set firstMMEmptyCell to get address TheMMSearch
				set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "$"
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set theMMRow to text item 3 of firstMMEmptyCell
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set theMMContent to (value of range {"$A$2:$F$" & theMMRow} as string)
			end tell
			tell theTargetFile
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set theTargetWorksheet to the worksheet "Sheet1" of theTargetFile
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set TargetSearchValue to column 1 of theTargetWorksheet of theTargetFile
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set TargetAfterCell to cell "A1" in theTargetWorksheet
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set FoundTargetRow to find TargetSearchValue what "" after TargetAfterCell look in values look at whole search direction search next
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set firstTargetEmptyCell to get address FoundTargetRow of theTargetFile
				tell application "Microsoft Excel" to set value of firstTargetEmptyCell of theTargetFile to theMMContent
			end tell
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell

I have not been successful scripting Excel with multiple open documents. I do not know if it is me or Excel, but I am comfortable blaming Excel…

Anyway, I believe that your best approach is to create a global variable, set it to an empty list, and repeat through each document one at a time, holding all of the data in the global variable. Once all the data is gathered, open the target document and put it in the appropriate places.

Hope this helps,

According to Excel’s scripting reference you need to activate the workbook and worksheet that you are working on, you can’t just refer to it by index number so you need to do something like this:

set FileOne to choose file
set FileTwo to choose file
	activate
	open FileOne
	set FileRefOne to name of active workbook
	log FileRefOne
	open FileTwo
	set FileRefTwo to name of active workbook
	log FileRefTwo
	activate object worksheet 1 of workbook FileRefOne
	set ImportValue to string value of range "A7"
	activate object worksheet 1 of workbook FileRefTwo
	set value of range "F4" to ImportValue
end tell

Which seems to work for me copying one cell from one document to another cell of the second.

A few other notes, for setting the variables to aliases like you are doing you do not need the tell finder block. Also the multiple tells to Excel are redundant and could be causing some problems. Just activate the appropriate worksheet in the appropriate workbook that you are targeting with your commands and it should switch between the documents and worksheets for you and manipulate them as expected.

I finally got it to work…I found that Excel works best without any tell blocks and just “activate” the file you’re working on instead. Also I found some characters can make it crash, when I’d copy a cell with “$” in it the app. would crash, probably because it’s used to signify ranges. Here’s my final script if anyone is curious.

set i to 0
set the_Folders to "file path to folder containing excel files"
set List_of_Files to list folder the_Folders without invisibles
set Target_File to "file path to main excel file to paste others into"
	activate
	open Target_File
	set ColumnAStart to 2 --starts right after main heading, variable set to move down rows when pasting
	set first_content_row to 2
	repeat with i from 1 to count of List_of_Files
		set Copied_File to the_Folders & item i of List_of_Files
		open Copied_File
		activate Copied_File
		set Column_to_Search to range "C:C" --search this column
		set cell_to_start_search_after to range "C1" --begin search after this cell
		set empty_cell_search to find Column_to_Search what "" after cell_to_start_search_after look in values look at whole search direction search next --look for empty cell in given range
		set empty_cell to get address empty_cell_search --set address of empty cell to string
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "$" --look for column and row references
		set last_column_copied to text item 3 of empty_cell --row reference
		set content_copied to value of range ({"$A$2:$GB$" & (last_column_copied - 1)} as string) --copies range of cells using row variable and set column
		close active workbook without saving

activate Target_File
		---set first_content_row to (first_content_row + last_column_copied)
		set Target_Column_searched to range "C:C"
		set Target_cell_to_search_after to range "C1"
		set Target_empty_cell_search to find Target_Column_searched what "" after Target_cell_to_search_after look in values look at whole search direction search next
		set firstMainEmptyCell to get address Target_empty_cell_search
		set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "$" --look for column and row references
		set theEmptyMainRow to text item 3 of firstMainEmptyCell
		set first_content_row to (theEmptyMainRow + (last_column_copied - 3))
		set Area_for_copied_content to range ({"$A$" & theEmptyMainRow & ":$GB$" & first_content_row} as string)
		copy contents of content_copied to value of Area_for_copied_content
	end repeat
end tell