Assign keyboard shortcuts to scriptmenu items?

This has gotta be a simple question…

I’m seeking to wean myself off Quickeys, and make the transition to Applescript. I’m starting with the simple Quickeys items that I use every day - launch particular apps, open my downloads folder, etc, etc.

I can see that the script menu in Entourage (there may be other apps, as well) allows me to assign a keyboard shortcut to a script by simply adding a suffix to the name of the script. For example: a script named “Open Custom View\mcV” actually appears in Entourage’s script menu as " Open Custom View [cmd-ctrl-V]". You get the idea, I’m sure.

Is there a way (similar to the above example, or even a completely different way) to assign keyboard shortcuts to my small number of simple scripts displayed in the system level script menu (IE: the menu at the right extremity of my menu bar?)

Thanks in advance, folks.

ajb

Model: MacBook 2.0ghz/2.0gb
Browser: Safari 419.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

I use FastScripts. It’s not free, but it’s inexpensive, there’s good support and a Forum, and it works like a dream. I have done with it exactly what you want to do - assigned keyboard shortcuts to scripts which range from one-liners to complex scripts that call others. I check my mail, switch language, get the IP address external to my router, find the next four birthdays in my calendar, look up a Google map, get the tides where I live, get the weather at a local navy base, swap printers - all with key combos.

Thank you. I’m downloading FastScripts v2.3 now. Definitely looks like it’ll do what I need. And, seems like a reasonable price.

ajb

I should have mentioned that FastScripts is nicely scriptable as well with a steadily improving dictionary. For example, one way to run a second script from another is by running a full path reference to the second one from the first one, but another is to tell System Events to tell process FastScripts to keystroke its keyboard shortcut - not as fast, but you don’t have to know where the script is - FastScripts does.

OK - many thanks for the steer towards Fastscripts. Have now been using for a few weeks, and I’ve happily ponied up the $$$ for the full version. It does exactly what I was seeking - neatly and elegantly.

AJB

Model: MacBook 2.0ghz/2.0gb
Browser: Safari 419.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)