Attach a panel to a status bar menu

I have a status menu item in the menu bar, and when it is clicked i want a panel to appear under it instead of a menu. i’v been searching for a while but couldnt find anything. anyone know how to do this? thanks.

I’m not sure what you exactly mean as a “panel” usually refers to something like “save or open” dialog that slides out of a main window.
Now if you mean the other panel, NSPanel, then you probably mean to have one of the main buttons the menu bar to show such a panel when clicked. Am I understanding this correctly? I don’t think that is possible. Only sub-items can work for that.
The best way to go about this is to add the item for the panel opener to the standard “window” or “view” item. That makes the user feel at home and know how to operate things. If you make a panel pop up under a menu item, people would expect a menu, but they suddenly get a panel.

Good Luck

yeah, i do mean an NSPanel. So you’re saying the only way to do this is to have the user click a menu item that comes up when you click the status menu?

As of 10.5 you can set a view for a menu item. See the NSMenuItem docs.

wow, thats amazing…is there anyway to make the background of the menu item more like the background of the panel?