Automatically run script when a volume mounts?

I wold like to know how to make a script I have created run when I plug in my external hard drive. Right now I have it set that a certain file is copied to the disk whenever I open the folder. However, I don’t need it running each time I open the folder, I would rather it run just when the volume mounts. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks

on opening folder this_folder
	activate application "Matt's Mac:Users:mattbasile:Library:Workflows:Applications:Folder Actions:Diabetes Log Update.app"
end opening folder

Model: MacBook Core Du0
AppleScript: 1.0
Browser: Safari 525.13
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Hi,

take a look at Craig Smith’s article Using launchd with AppleScript to Access a Flash Drive Automatically
It works also with hard drives.

thanks, I’ll give all of that stuff a read on the morning, it’ll probably be over my head even then anywas

I have come across question in this thread many times.

The answers I’ve found so far boil down to 2 options: 1) use launcd for monitoring, 2) use stay-open app for monitoring.

Both answers do not quite correspond to the real monitoring of the “certain disk connected” event, so my question is this:

Has anyone tried making the /Volumes folder a “hot” folder and assigning a script to it? I think it should work like a real monitor

I decided to test my guess, and made the “/Volumes” folder a “hot” folder (aka folder action). Then, I attached the following script to it:

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
	set volumeName to name of (get info for (item 1 of these_items)) as Unicode text
	display notification "Disk \"" & volumeName & "\" inserted"
end adding folder items to

It looks like I can congratulate myself and others that my hunch was correct.

Because as soon as I plug in one of my flash drives, the display notification automatically fires up and notifies me that a drive is inserted, and also informs me of its name.

NOTE:
In the same way, you can register the disk removal event by applying the “on removing…” handler.

Refer to the run in background AppleScript

https://omni-automation.com/shortcuts/volume-mount-trigger.html

Some time ago I did something like that, and actually prepared 2 options:
1 – using folder actions, it works fine. I posted this option on the blog, if you are interested, you can look at my “rough” code. :slight_smile:
2 – Then I rewrote everything, because in one example, thanks to you, I understood how to handle handlers. Use User Agent in Launchd,

--Имя съёмного раздела раздела
set RemovableDiskName to "Flash"
set SyncRootFolder to "Портфель"
--Ищем имя съёмного раздела среди всех подключенных 
tell application "System Events" to set MountedDisks to name of every disk
if RemovableDiskName is in MountedDisks then
	--Перечисляем каталоги, которые необходимо синхронизировать с съёмным накопителем
	set SyncFolders to {¬
		"Проект А", ¬
		"Проект Б", ¬
		"Инструкции тех. поддержки", ¬
		"Test"}
	repeat with SyncFolder in SyncFolders
		--Синхронизация
		my StartSync(SyncRootFolder, SyncFolder, RemovableDiskName)
	end repeat
	--Раскомментировать, если необходимо отключать носитель после завершения синхронизации
	--my UnmountDisk(RemovableDiskName)
end if
--Обработчик синхронизации
on StartSync(SyncRootFolder, SyncFolder, RemovableDiskName)
	--Источник
	set SourcePath to quoted form of (POSIX path of (path to documents folder as text) & SyncRootFolder & "/" & SyncFolder & "/")
	--Назначение
	tell application "System Events" to set DestinationPath to quoted form of (POSIX path of disk item RemovableDiskName & "/" & SyncFolder as text)
	try
		do shell script "rsync -au --delete" & space & SourcePath & space & DestinationPath
		delay 1
		display notification "Каталог" & space & quoted form of SyncFolder & space & ¬
			"синхронизирован с съёмным диском" & space & RemovableDiskName with title "Синхронизация каталога"
	on error ErrorMessage
		set ErrorMessage to do shell script "echo" & space & quoted form of (ErrorMessage as text) & "| awk -F 'failed:' '{print$2}' | awk -F ' at ' '{print$1}'"
		display dialog "Копирование каталога" & space & quoted form of SyncFolder & space & "не выполнено." & ¬
			return & "Failed:" & space & ErrorMessage buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon stop
	end try
end StartSync
--Обработчик размонтрования накопителя
on UnmountDisk(RemovableDiskName)
	delay 5
	tell application "Finder" to eject RemovableDiskName
end UnmountDisk

After saving the script, you need to create an xml daemon

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>custom.sync.flash</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>osascript</string>
		<string>/Library/Scripts/Custom/Sync-to-rdrive.scpt</string>
	</array>
	<key>StartOnMount</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

The daemon will start automatically every time after mounting any disk.

It remains to start the daemon

launchctl load -w ~/Library/LaunchAgents/custom.sync.flash.plist

And connect flash drive.

I like the second option better. Because here I will add error handling, and the code seems clearer with handlers.

1 Like

Another option would be to use EventScripts. I believe it can be configured to execute an AppleScript every time a volume is mounted.