Automating DVD duplication

Hi,

as I just have to copy about 500 DVDs (UDF, movies, but not commercial disks, no DRM) to an external HD I thought this could be made easier with a script.

How I do it now is putting in a DVD, dragging and dropping (while holding down the option key) to the external HD, wait, check if it’s done and eject. What would be better is iTunes-like behavior of the finder: Putting in a DVD, finder copies automatically and ejects the disk when done. This would free me from the manual copying AND I wouldn’t have to check if it’s done, because I would hear and see the disc eject.

I found a script on Apples discussion forum, but it doesn’t work yet … this is what I have so far:

on adding folder items to volumesFolder after receiving theDisk
	delay 5 --This is to allow time to properly mount the disc. It may not be needed

try
		--get the name of the folder
		set theVolume to item 2 of theDisk
		set diskName to (name of theVolume as string)

if (do shell script "diskutil info /dev/disk2") contains diskName then
			--It appears to be an optical disk
			--add something here to copy to the disk. For example:
			tell application "Finder"
				duplicate disk diskName to "Volumes:FILME:"
				--Eject the disk
				eject disk diskName
			end tell

end if
	on error msg
		tell application "Finder"
			activate
			display dialog msg
		end tell
	end try

return 0
end adding folder items to

What I get are errors like this one:

Can’t make name of alias “MYMOVIE:” into type string.

So, the part where it tries to get the name of the DVD doesn’t work … any ideas or suggestions?

Hi Udo,

AppleScript doesn’t know the name of an alias specifier, only the Finder, System Events or info for (which calls also System Events) know.

set diskName to name of (info for theVolume)

Consider that the event variable theDisk contains always a list of alias specifiers.

Thanks, but I don’t even know what that means. Frankly, I don’t really understand the script. I think. In the beginning … how does AppleScript even know what “theDisk” is? And why do I have to go from “TheDisk” to “theVolume” to “diskName”? The DVD is mounted and has a name … doesn’t the finder kind of know that?

that helped, actually. Now the script runs a little bit further and I get the error:

“Finder got an error: Can’t make “Volumes:FILME:” into type folder”

I spent the last 3 hours reading and googling … I still don’t even know what that means … :confused:

After some more googling I found the solution:

http://automatorworld.com/forum/topic.php?id=601#post-1651

Exactly what I imagined :slight_smile: