"beep" volume

On my G5 running 10.4.4, I seem to have lost the ability to “beep” in AppleScript - does beeping still exist and can G5s do it?

get volume settings
--> {output volume:55, input volume:50, alert volume:100, output muted:false}

beep 3
--> nary a peep

Otherwise I hear everything else I’d expect to hear normally including the all the other OS X sounds.

:o Doesn’t it drive you nuts when a command MUST include “get” as in “get volume settings”? Took too long to sort that out. [I don’t mean to inflame hhas] :o

Weird - problem solved by unplugging my USB modem from a USB hub and plugging it in again on the front of the box. This, of course after 99 other tests that included turning off Application Enhancers, logging out and in as another user, rebooting, etc. The modem probably has instructions to that effect, but I didn’t read them of course. :confused:

It sometimes catches me off guard, but not in this case. The actual command is called “get volume settings,” which has nothing to do with the “get” command.

This is similar to “set the clipboard to.” That is one command, and should not be confused with the “set” or “the clipboard” commands.

Bruce;

I understand that completley - unfortunately that doesn’t make me remember it. As hhas has complained before in several settings that I read, it’s a consequence of pushing the “stick to plain English” ahead of what actually makes good sense from a programming point of view. Enough said.

This has been driving me nuts for a bit as well.

I use the beep when I am testing scripts… but I haven’t been able to use it on my G4 powerbook running 10.4. and I don’t have a usb modem. (by the way. what the hell is a usb modem? get an airport my man!)

get volume settings

-->{output volume:100, input volume:50, alert volume:0, output muted:false}

Perhaps it’s because your alert volume is set to 0. (Check the “Alert volume” slider in the Sound preference pane of System Preferences.)

God, I hate when the answer is staring me in the face and I miss it.

:rolleyes:

… well now that I have been mildly embarrassed…

Is there any way to bypass the beep in an application when running an AppleScript?

In this script if the window is already on the fist monitor it will beep at you indicating it can’t move. I have used try statements but that doesn’t seem to suppress the beeps.

What I have here works, thanks to you guys, but it feels like I am doing a hack since other things that might need to beep for a brief moment will not beep.

set volume alert volume 0

tell application "SizeUp"
	send to monitor 1
end tell

delay 1

--Pageup - This does dual screen in the application Breeze.
tell application "System Events" to key code 116 using {command down, option down, control down, shift down}

set volume alert volume 100

I just use scripts to do this, triggered by Keyboard Maestro hot keys, for example:

tell application "Safari" to set bounds of window 1 to {310, 22, 2430, 1400}

I have a group of these that move windows to where I want them. If they are already there, nothing happens (including no beep)

Thanks Adam, I use scripts for this as well but as you have probably experienced there are many windows that this doesn’t work on. This is actually what first drove me into learning AppleScript and then writing an app SP Resize http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40983/sp-resize. I got tired of setting this up on the many computer I use with various displays. I’d be happy to send you a free copy if you want.

Thanks. I looked at your link to it. Looks neat. I don’t need a free copy, though. I’ll pay if I like it. Gotta support creators.