Calling Remote Script

Hi,
I have read that “run script” can not be used with OSX 10.4 when trying to run a script on a remote machine. Of course I have tried it and I get “… does not understand run script”. I need to run a script on a remote machine and pass arguments to it. How are others doing this with OSX 10.4?

Thanks,
Rich

maybe this?

run script (do shell script "curl -f [url=http://www.apple.com/myscript.applescript)]http://www.apple.com/myscript.applescript")[/url]

myscript.applescript has to be saved as TEXT from AS.
That’s what I know (and use). Don’t know for passing arguments :frowning:

Bye

You might look at this. StefanK claims he can do it but that it requires a bit of special trickery.

http://bbs.applescript.net/viewtopic.php?id=20147

Adam, I think, we’re talking about two different things.
I mentioned, it’s possible to talk to applications on remote machines,
but I don’t know, whether it’s possible to run scripts on remote machines
via the run script command

Hi,
According to what I have read targeting applications that are already running is not a problem but wanting to run a script is. I have an applescript running on one machine that transfers files to a File server. Once the files are transferred this applescript needs to pass, as parameters a path and a folder name, to an applescript on another machine which runs Photoshop. Starting the script seems to be my sticking point.

This was my last attempt. I thought I would try the osascript command but I have tried numerous other options like run script, etc…

This is the scrip which is calling the remote machine. I hardcoded the parameters for testing.

set custFiles to "44444_TestScript_0140"
set destinPath to "/X_DMSjobs/LiveJobs/NORTH_BRUNSWICK/"

-- variables - Paths
local remoteMachine
set remoteMachine to "eppc://adminuser:dmsHub@172.20.115.184"

tell application "Finder" of machine remoteMachine
	using terms from application "Finder"
		local remoteScript
		set remoteScript to "BootX:Users:Shared:bin:AdobeAutomate:ProcessFiles.scpt"
		tell remoteScript to set custFileList to custFiles
		tell remoteScript to set destinationPath to destinPath

do shell script "osascript  /Users/Shared/bin/AdobeAutomate/ProcessFiles.scpt"
	end using terms from
end tell

This is the script on the machine running photoshop. The script works if launched locally with the parameters supplied

on run {custFileList, destinationPath}

-- local variables
local currentFolder
local linkArtPath
local linkArtReturn
local logFilePath

if (count of custFileList) > 0 then

repeat with n from 1 to number of items in custFileList
		set currentFolder to item n of custFileList

-- need to extract the info for this folder -custName, jobNo, opCode
		my collectCustomerFolders(currentFolder)
		-- path to move the finished files back into
		set linkArtReturn to destinationPath & custName & "/" & jobNo & "/LinkArt/"
		-- create our from path
		set linkArtPath to destinationPath & custName & "/" & jobNo & "/LinkArt/TempArt/"
		-- create the path to the log file
		set logFilePath to destinationPath & custName & "/" & jobNo & "/" & custName & "-" & jobNo & ".log"

try
		-- process and resave all photoshop files
		tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS2"
			set scriptFile to ¬
				"Home:Users:rsweeny:Documents:SVN_Code:Applescript:bin:AdobeAutomate:ProcessPhotoFiles.jsx" as alias
			do javascript scriptFile with arguments {custName, jobNo, linkArtPath, logFilePath}
		end tell

on error
		display dialog "Error calling Remote Photoshop Server!"
	end try

-- move the files back to the original LinkArt folder
		my returnFinishedFiles(linkArtPath, linkArtReturn)
	end repeat
end if

end run

Rich

I just thought I would post how I got around this. I searched high and low and found no way to really get this to work. All files being edited are on a File Server. I wrote my parameters out to a file on the server drive called .ParameterList.txt. The “.” kept the file hidden to any users using the server. Then I launch the script on the remote machine which is also using the same server with the osascript command:
do shell script “osascript /Users/Shared/bin/AdobeAutomate/ProcessFiles.scpt”
From this script I am opening the .ParameterList.txt file and reading in my parameters.

It seems like a long way around but I really couldn’t find any other way to luanch a script on a remote machine and pass paramters (variables) to it. I could pass a value to a script and it would work but I could not pass a variable to a script.

Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone is interested.
Rich