Can "JPEG" be different to "JPEG" ?

Hi there,

Maybe someone can help me, I think a have a typical beginner problem with a global that gets its value from filemaker.
I script like this to read from a text-field in filemaker:

global var_DateitypNeu, dat_Pfad_Ablage
tell application "FileMaker Pro"
		set var_DateitypNeu to cell "var_DateitypNeu" of current record
end tell

and get back i.e. a value like “JPEG”. Now I´d like to use this string later in the script to save a file as a JPEG-File:

tell application "GraphicConverter"
tell window 1
       save in dat_Pfad_Ablage as var_DateitypNeu
end tell
end tell

dat_Pfad_Ablage is a valid Path, but I get back an error, that data cannot be converted. I´ve tried a senseless thing like this:

if var_DateitypNeu = "JPEG" then
    set var_DateitypNeu to "JPEG"
end if

And … Wow… now the filesaving with Graphic Converter works. Maybe someone can explain me the right way?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the bad english,

Florian

Florian:

Yes, in this case, most likely when you read the cell and recieve the first “JPEG,” it is considered by AppleScript (AS) as a value, or property, but not a string, which you need when you save the file later on. I can’t test it, because I don’t have filemaker, but try making the variable into a string when you first read it, like this:

global var_DateitypNeu, dat_Pfad_Ablage
tell application "FileMaker Pro"
		set var_DateitypNeu to cell "var_DateitypNeu" of current record as unicode text--This should force AS to set your variable to a string instead of a property or value.
end tell

Good luck,

Hi guys.

Actually, it looks to me as if GraphicConverter handles file types as plain text - but not as Unicode or styled text. My guess is that the value returned by FileMaker Pro is Unicode text - hence the error.

While this is untested here, you could try replacing the line:

set var_DateitypNeu to cell "var_DateitypNeu" of current record

… with something like:

set {text:var_DateitypNeu} to (cell "var_DateitypNeu" of current record) as string

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for your help, now me script works. Kai was right, GraphicConverter wants to get a plain-text-string instead of the unicode-text I get from Filemaker.

Thanks again,

Florian