can this be done

I am a complete novice with this. I have been posting to apple’s applescript forum and gotten some good help, but I found this and figured I would try here too. In a nutshell this is what i am trying to do, we print files out of indesign and quark xpress, the files go through our workflow and place a PDF in a folder when it is done. The PDF has the same name as the file that created it, just a different extension. I want to move the pdf to the same location as the native file. so when a PDF is placed in the folder on the server, i want it to tigger a search for the same file name minus the extention, and move the pdf to that location. i am using an 10.4.5 xserve… here is a script someone wrote to help me out, but it is not working and i don’t know enough to figure it out.

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
	set Quark_ext to "qxp" -- change this to actual Quark extension
	set InDesign_ext to "indd" -- change this to actual InDesign extension 
	set server_path to "Raid:Production"
	repeat with _item in these_items -- loop thru multiple dropped items
		tell application "Finder"
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}
			set _name to name of _item -- name with ext
			set name_extension to name extension of _item -- extension, that would be PDF
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {("." & name_extension)}
			set _name to text item 1 of _name -- name without ext
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}
		end tell
		-- search for same name with Quark ext
		set search_server to my find_file(_name, Quark_ext, server_path)
		-- search for same name with InDesign ext
		if search_server is "" then my find_file(_name, InDesign_ext, server_path)
		-- nothing found, exit
		if search_server is "" then return
		tell application "Finder"
			-- get server folder
			set server_folder to container of (POSIX file of search_server)
			duplicate _item to server_folder
		end tell
	end repeat
end adding folder items to

on find_file(file_name, file_ext, server_path)
	-- find file using mdfind, this should be faster than Finder
	-- server volume's items' meta dat should be indexed
	set found_file to do shell script "/usr/bin/mdfind '" & file_name & space & file_ext & "' -onlyin " & quoted form of POSIX path of server_path
	return found_file
end find_file

i made the script and attached it to a folder and nothing happens, any help would be great!

thanks in advanvce
Frank

Model: xserve
AppleScript: 1.10.3
Browser: Safari 417.8
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

I can see one or two potential problems, Frank (as well as the odd opportunity to tighten things up a bit). I can’t test the server side of things at the moment, although using an alias to check the path at compile time should help to establish that it’s correct. Anyway, hope it helps…

property server_path : quoted form of POSIX path of ("Raid:Production" as alias) (* alias to check path at compile time *)
property xList : {"qxp", "indd"}

on adding folder items to after receiving these_items
	repeat with i in these_items
		tell application "Finder" to tell item i to set n to (get name)'s text 1 thru -((count (get name extension)) + 1)
		repeat with x in xList
			set f to quoted form of (n & x)
			tell application "Finder" to try
				duplicate i to container of ((do shell script "/usr/bin/mdfind " & f & " -onlyin " & server_path & " | grep -m 1 " & f) as POSIX file)
				exit repeat
			end try
		end repeat
	end repeat
end adding folder items to

Wow! Thank you soooo much! it worked perfectly! i can not thank you enough for your help.