Can't make into type item

this script works fine for making an alias to a folder

set folder_to_alias to “Volumes:networkFootage:Digital_Deliverables_Projects:dd_hasb_68830_battlemasters” as alias
tell application “Finder” to make new alias file at desktop to folder_to_alias

but this one does not (only difference is a defined path for the alias instead of the desktop)

set folder_to_alias to “Volumes:networkFootage:Digital_Deliverables_Projects:dd_hasb_68830_battlemasters” as alias
tell application “Finder” to make new alias file at “Volumes:mediaProjects1:_project_media_template:Digital_Deliverables” to folder_to_alias

thanks,
david

Hi,

An easy way to get a reference is:

choose file

or choose folder. You can use that in your script also.

gl,
kel

Sorry what does this scriptlet do?

It’s the ‘at desktop’ as opposed to the other reference. The reference in the second script is a string not a reference.

Sorry I am a novice when it comes to applescript. How do I fix this?

Hi ddinisco.

1. Your HFS paths are incorrectly formed. They shouldn’t begin with “Volumes:”.
  2. You should use aliases or Finder references, not just the paths.
set folder_to_alias to "networkFootage:Digital_Deliverables_Projects:dd_hasb_68830_battlemasters" as alias
tell application "Finder" to make new alias file at folder "mediaProjects1:_project_media_template:Digital_Deliverables" to folder_to_alias

Change the second script to :

tell application “Finder” to make new alias file at file “Volumes:mediaProjects1:_project_media_template:Digital_Deliverables” to folder_to_alias

All i did was added the ‘file’ before your string path.

gl,
kel

What was I thinking. Thanks Nigel.

Have a good day!

Thanks folks. I will give it a try on Monday.