Characters not shown.

When when I import the text file, the folder path does not include : or / in the paths?

I have a text file that has the following information.

Now, I import it with the following.

set filePath to (path to current user folder) & "Library:Preferences:com.Backup.folders" as string
	set theFile to open for access filePath
	set theData to read theFile as string
	close access theFile
	set theContext to paragraphs of theData
	repeat with theLine in theContext
		--Parse the text
		set theName to first word of theLine as string
		set thePath to words 2 thru -1 of theLine as string
		display alert thePath
	end repeat

If you ask for words you get words. :wink:

So then how do I get the part of the string after the comma? (see my first post for text file)

I would think the easiest thing to do would be to use the equivalent of an String-to-Array function like split(ECMA Script) or explode (PHP)…but does AppleScript have such a thing? If it does, then you could split each line into a list at the comma, and the first item in the list would be the “key” and the second item in the list would be the value.

But my relative ignorance of AppleScript prevents me from know if there such a command, and what it’s called if it’s there. I looked through the docs a little, but no luck. So, sorry! I’d love to know if AS has that command or not, so if someone happens to know, please post!

But wait a minute…someone with more experience check me on this, but if you’ve got “words,” then you have a list of words, right? Of course, you’re casting it as a string right away, but you can set AppleScript’s text item delimiters to a custom value, like “:”, and then cast the list as text, and it’ll have the “:” in between each word.

on listAsString(theList, theDelimiter)
	set textItemDelimiters to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {theDelimiter}
	set returnString to theList as text
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to textItemDelimiters
	return returnString
end listAsString

That might fall apart if you have a two-word folder, though…

Nope. Unfortunately Applescript’s string commands are the only thing I don’t like about it. I work with about 5 other scripting languages and PHP is my favorite by far.

I made a recursive string replacement. On the table view I show a forward slash but in the text file is a hyphen.

drukepple, did you learn how to use the table view yet. It is actually very simple but I forgot to make the connection to the data source.

As long as you only have the one comma, something like this should work:

get "Documents,Maggie:Users:PaulAvery:Documents
Movies,Maggie:Users:PaulAvery:Movies
Music,Maggie:Users:PaulAvery:Music
Pictures,Maggie:Users:PaulAvery:Pictures"

explode(ASCII character 10, result)

repeat with thisItem in result
	set {thisName, thisPath} to {first item, second item} of explode(",", thisItem)
	-- log result
	-- whatever else
end repeat

on explode(someSeperator, someInput)
	if someSeperator is "" then return false

set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {someSeperator}
	set someInput to text items of someInput
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID
	return someInput
end explode

Bruce: awesome, that’ll save me some agony when I need an explode function!

Peejavery: Tables…kinda sorta. It’s slow going, because I just don’t have a lot of time to sit down and work on this stuff…believe me, I’m at a point where I’d certainly rather learn AS Studio (and eventually Cocoa proper) than work my day job, but reality is I can only work in small doses. i do know about datasources, but I’m wondering if my ineptitude in general with AS Studio has mucked something up in that regard…

Follow up question:

Bruce, why will that only work if you only have one comma? I must be not understanding the way AppleScript is treating the “set someInput to text items of someInput” line.

Consider this:

set test to "Junk,Drive:Users:PaulAvery:Junk, Blah, Etc:"

set ASTID to AppleScript's text item delimiters
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {","}
set test to text items of test
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID

return test
--> {"Junk", "Drive:Users:PaulAvery:Junk", " Blah", " Etc:"}

That affects the path too, which is probably not what you wanted.

Edit: But that shouldn’t be a problem if you use this instead: explode() [split text] :slight_smile:

Thanks for the explanation Bruce…but that’s exactly what I’d expect to happen in an “explode” function. I wouldn’t expect the function to be smart enough to know that if should only affect commas that aren’t part of the path or some such exception. I would expect the function to find every comma (or whatever you feed it) and use that as a delimter when turning bits of a string into elements of a list. I would also expect me as the developer to find a delimiter that can work reliably. That is, if I expect a comma to be part of the data I was to store, then I shouldn’t use it as a deliminter when I store the text file.

I was thinking of the lack of a limit parameter, but I (partially) fixed that.