Classic environment

Ok, i’ve got a basic question, when i save a script as an application and try and move it from one mac to another why do i get the error that it can’t be opened because the classic environment is no longer supported? Now if i move them as scpt files everything is ok? This doesn’t make sense. I’m running OS X 10.5 on an intel imac at home and OS X 10.5 on a intel mac pro at work.

That “attempt to launch via Classic” happens on my machine (G4) when an AppleScript “application”'s resource fork is stripped.

Even if you have a good copy of your saved “application”, it would still run under Rosetta on Intel Macs because an AppleScript saved as an “application” only includes the PPC applet runner (it is a backwards compatibility thing).

When making launchable apps that might run on Intel Macs via Script Editor, you should save as an “application bundle”, not as a plain “application”.

“application bundle” AppleScripts include both PPC and Intel applet runners, so they will run natively on either platform. Also, none of the normal files in an app bundle will have resource forks, so they should be easier to successfully move around.

Model: iBook G4 933
AppleScript: 1.10.7
Browser: Safari 4.0.2 (4530.19)
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Thanks that finally makes sense. Thanks.