Comments in pictures

Is it possible to copy Finder comment to IPTC or JPEG comment in all jpg/gif/png/etc files in finder selection? I’m not sure what is right place/tag to keep own comments.

I want to do this because Finder comments are deleted when moving pictures to different folder using some graphics softwares like GraphicConverter.

Hi cirno,

the most amazing and powerful tool to manipulate images, as far as I know, is the CLI ImageMagick.
It’s a bit tricky to install (for example X11 is required), but you can do almost everything with images.

Unlike installing ImageMagick, reading the Finder comment is pretty easy :wink:

watch also thissite

I was hoping something easier and in the first place GraphicConverter should copy files without deleting comments. Txs

iPhoto

Hi.

1. As far as I can tell, it’s not possible to move files around or to duplicate them using GraphicConverter. The nearest you can get is to open them in GraphicConverter and save the resulting documents to another file.

2. Finder comments aren’t stored in the items themselves, but (apparently) in an invisible file called “.DS_Store” in the same folder. On my machines, the Finder writes these comments to the new locations when it moves or duplicates items, but I wouldn’t necessarily expect other applications to do the same.

If you want to preserve Finder comments, use the Finder to move or duplicate the items and ‘update’ the results:

tell application "Finder"
	move file "blah:blah:blah.jpg" to folder "bling:blang:blong"
	update result
end tell

tell application "Finder"
	duplicate theseItems to thisFolder
	update result
end tell