Comparing an number to others in a list

Hi -
This is probably simple, so please forgive my ignorance. If I have a variable that is storing a number -

set theNum to 46

-how can I compare that to a range of numbers? For example, I want to test if 46 exists within a range from 30 to 50 . The range of numbers 30 through 50 exists in another variable. I’m guessing this list of numbers would look similar to the shortened version below.

set theList to (30, 31, 32, 33, 46, 50)

Would it be as simple as:

if theNum exists within theList then
           --do something
          end if

Is there a way to make my list more concise without having to spell out each number to check against?

Thanks!

You’re close but getting too fancy:

set theNum to 46
set theList to {30, 31, 32, 33, 46, 50}
if theNum is in theList then --or if  theList contains theNum then
	return true
else
	return false
end if

Jon

Ah! Very cool. Thanks!

Any suggestions for making theList variable a little easier? Pretty sure I can’t do

set theList to (30 - 50)

because that would be a mathematical operation. Yet, visually, that’s how I’m inclined to think of a range of numbers. I just wondered if there’s something cleaner than just listing every number I want to check against.

Thanks again!

I don’t know how to specify a range like you are describing, but you could potentially build your list easier.

set rangeList to {}
repeat with aNum from 10 to 30
	copy aNum to end of rangeList
end repeat

Then you use your previous method for your comparing agains “rangeList”

Aha! Ok, that sounds pretty good. I’d rather have the script do it for me anyway. Thank you for the suggestions!

If you simply want to know if the number falls in the range 30 to 50, you don’t need a list at all:

if theNum >= 30 and theNum <= 50 then
  -- Do your thing
end