computer IP address and email

Hello fellow helpers,

I was looking (this time) for an application that I could put on my server that would send me an email (that I will specify myself in the code later) with the computer’s IP address when it changes. I need this because i need the IP address on my other computers on the network so it can communicate with the server and it seems like it is changing more frequently than I have the time to set up everything and go through it and look for the IP address.

Thanks!

PS. Off topic: Any cyberduck equivalent recommended FTP apps for Windoze? I’ll look around a bit, but a little advice always helps!

Best,

Benjamin

You should investigate dynDNS.org which will keep track of IPAddresses for a domain name.

Otherwise, you can check your IP from the server and mail the result with something like this:

property theName : "John Doe"
property theAddress : "john@doe.com"

set ipAddress to do shell script "/usr/bin/curl http://checkip.dyndns.org | /usr/bin/awk '/: / {print $6}' | /usr/bin/cut -f 1 -d '<' "

tell application "Mail"
	set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, subject:ipAddress}
	tell newMessage
		make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {name:theName, address:theAddress}
	end tell
	activate
	send
end tell

I was looking for the computer’s IP (EX: 192.168.0.12, 10.0.1.23) to be emailed to me, not my public IP.

Thanks!

Ben

set myIP to IPv4 address of (get system info)

works perfect! Thanks!

i have 1 more question. how do I make the app run every week automatically?

thanks!

With iCal. Set up a new event for the time and date you want it to run. Then select alert and click applescript. You can then set it to repeat weekly monthly daily yearly so on and so forth.

Make a new calendar in iCal and name is something like Scheduler. That way anything you schedule will be on your Scheduler calendar and can be hidden from the main one.

Wo! Thats cool. I didn’t know I could do that.

Thanks!