Convert every file whose kind is “Mariner Write document”

HumanPotential
Robert McGarey

6m

I like Mariner Write, but it no longer works on newer machines and I need to upgrade soon. I have 1,300 Mariner Write documents that I want to convert (probably to rtf) so I don’t lose access when I upgrade.

I have thought of writing some recursive script to walk all the folders, but I think it would be easier to get a list of all 1,300 file/folder locations and tell Mariner Write to convert each one that way.

Suggestions?

What is the latest OS it runs on?

"Effective with the release of Catalina (10.15), Mariner Software has ended development of Mariner Write. " – from the developer

Yes, I’m planning to convert documents one at a time until they are all converted. I’m “old school” and haven’t yet used AppleScriptObjC and don’t do UNIX hardly ever. However, I suppose there’s no harm in learning…

I know how to script Mariner Write. What I would like would be a text file that lists the full file location of every document, so that AS could then take the first line and convert that file, then take the second line and convert it, and so on.

The following script should do what you want. It may seem needlessly complex, but it will do the job quickly and reliably and only needs to be run once. Before running this script, change the file extensions to those that apply to Mariner Write. A text file will be created on your desktop.

The text file returns Posix paths. If HFS paths are required in your Mariner Write conversion script, simply use “POSIX file” (no quotes) before the file path.

use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

set theFolder to POSIX path of (choose folder) -- select top-level folder that contains the files
set fileExtensions to {"txt", "pdf"} -- set to desired file extensions
set theFiles to getFiles(theFolder, fileExtensions)
writeFile(theFiles)

on getFiles(theFolder, fileExtensions)
	set fileManager to current application's NSFileManager's defaultManager()
	set theFolder to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:theFolder
	set folderContents to (fileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:{} options:6 errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()
	set thePredicate to current application's NSPredicate's predicateWithFormat_("pathExtension.lowercaseString IN %@", fileExtensions)
	set theFiles to (folderContents's filteredArrayUsingPredicate:thePredicate)
	set descriptorOne to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"stringByDeletingLastPathComponent" ascending:true selector:"localizedStandardCompare:" -- sort by path of containing folder
	set descriptorTwo to current application's NSSortDescriptor's sortDescriptorWithKey:"lastPathComponent" ascending:true selector:"localizedStandardCompare:" -- sort by file name
	return ((theFiles's valueForKey:"path")'s sortedArrayUsingDescriptors:{descriptorOne, descriptorTwo})
end getFiles

on writeFile(theFiles)
	set theString to theFiles's componentsJoinedByString:linefeed
	set theFolder to (current application's NSHomeDirectory()'s stringByAppendingPathComponent:"Desktop")
	set theFile to theFolder's stringByAppendingPathComponent:"Mariner Write Files.txt"
	theString's writeToFile:theFile atomically:true encoding:(current application's NSUTF8StringEncoding) |error|:(missing value)
end writeFile

Does that mean it won’t work on Catalina, or Catalina is the last OS it will work on?
It seamed a little ambiguous to me.

If HFS paths are required and sorting is not, the following can be used. The timing result with a folder than contained 837 files in 179 folders with 663 matching files was 79 milliseconds, so this script should work on an older computer.

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

set theFolder to POSIX path of (choose folder) -- select top-level folder that contains the files
set fileExtensions to {"txt", "pdf"} -- set to desired file extensions
set theFiles to getFiles(theFolder, fileExtensions)
writeFile(theFiles)

on getFiles(theFolder, fileExtensions)
	set fileManager to current application's NSFileManager's defaultManager()
	set theFolder to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:theFolder
	set folderContents to (fileManager's enumeratorAtURL:theFolder includingPropertiesForKeys:{} options:6 errorHandler:(missing value))'s allObjects()
	set thePredicate to current application's NSPredicate's predicateWithFormat_("pathExtension.lowercaseString IN %@", fileExtensions)
	set theFiles to (folderContents's filteredArrayUsingPredicate:thePredicate)
	set hfsPaths to current application's NSMutableArray's new()
	repeat with aURL in theFiles
		(hfsPaths's addObject:(aURL as text))
	end repeat
	return hfsPaths
end getFiles

on writeFile(theFiles)
	set theString to theFiles's componentsJoinedByString:linefeed
	set theFolder to (current application's NSHomeDirectory()'s stringByAppendingPathComponent:"Desktop")
	set theFile to theFolder's stringByAppendingPathComponent:"Mariner Write Files.txt"
	theString's writeToFile:theFile atomically:true encoding:(current application's NSUTF8StringEncoding) |error|:(missing value)
end writeFile

I tested and the timing results for both scripts were identical. Two slightly different approaches that accomplish the same thing.

Yes, it is ambiguous. It could even mean that it can work on an OS greater than Catalina, but that the developer won’t guarantee the results. I only know that it does work on OS 10.13.8.

These scripts look great, so I think we are almost there. The remaining problem is that many or most of my Mariner Write documents don’t have an extension, they are simply Mariner Write documents. It’s not that the extension is hidden; the extension does not exist. So we’ll have to search by “kind = Mariner Write document” or some such.

Here’s an example of the fact of some documents not having an extension. Two documents of the same name at the same location, one with an extension and one without:

Hi,
or a shell one liner:

find -E ~/Documents \( -regex '.*.pdf' -or -not -regex '.*/.*\.[a-z0-9]{2,20}' \) -and  -type f  -exec file {} ';' | awk -F":" '/PDF/{print $1}'>myFileList.txt

I assume you have the files in ~/Documents and subfolders, else you need to state the top directory.
Exchange pdf with mwd and /PDF/ with /Mariner/
BR