Convert string to list

For an import/export function in my program, I export a list such as {“Hello”, {“Hi”,“Bye”}} as the string "{"Hello",{"Hi", "Bye"}}, which appears to the user as {“Hello”, {“Hi”,“Bye”}}

Could someone PLEASE make a function to convert the string to the list? I’ve tried using textitem delimiters but it doesn’t seem to work.

Thanks so much.

CODE FOR SCRIPT:

property quizList : {}

to getNextToLast(array)
	return last item of (reverse of (rest of (reverse of array)))
end getNextToLast

to makeListToString(array)
	set finalString to ""
	repeat with i from 1 to (count of array) - 2
		set finalString to finalString & item i of array & ", "
	end repeat
	set finalString to finalString & (getNextToLast(array)) & " and " & last item of array
	return finalString
end makeListToString

to getText(prompt)
	display dialog prompt with title "iQuizU" buttons {"Quit", "OK"} cancel button "Quit" default button "OK" default answer ""
	return text returned of result
end getText

to showAlert(displayText)
	display dialog displayText with title "iQuizU" buttons {"Quit", "OK"} cancel button "Quit" default button "OK"
end showAlert

to showQuestion(prompt, qNum)
	display dialog "Question #" & qNum & ": " & prompt default answer "" with title "iQuizU" buttons {"Quit", "Check Answer"} cancel button "Quit" default button "Check Answer"
	return text returned of result
end showQuestion

to getNewQuestion()
	return {getText("Enter the prompt for your new question."), getText("What would be the answer to that question?")}
end getNewQuestion

to makeNewQuiz()
	set numQuestions to (getText("How many questions do you want this quiz to have?"))
	repeat
		try
			set numQuestions to numQuestions as integer
			exit repeat
		on error
			set numQuestions to (getText("Please enter an integer (e.g.: 3). How many questions do you want this quiz to have?"))
		end try
	end repeat
	set questionList to {}
	repeat numQuestions times
		set end of questionList to (getNewQuestion())
	end repeat
	return {getText("Finally, enter a name for this quiz:"), questionList}
end makeNewQuiz

to askQuestion(questionData, questionNumber)
	set questionResult to (showQuestion(item 1 of questionData, questionNumber))
	return (questionResult = item 2 of questionData)
end askQuestion

to askQuiz(quizData)
	showAlert("We're about to begin quiz \"" & item 1 of quizData & ".\" Press OK when you are ready to begin, or quit if you'd like to exit.")
	set quizQuestions to item 2 of quizData
	set wrongAnswers to {}
	repeat with i from 1 to count of quizQuestions
		set answeredCorrectly to (askQuestion(item i of quizQuestions, i))
		if not answeredCorrectly then set end of wrongAnswers to i
	end repeat
	if length of wrongAnswers = 0 then
		showAlert("Wow! You aced the quiz! Very nice work. Grade: 100%.")
	else if length of wrongAnswers = 1 then
		showAlert("You got question " & item 1 of wrongAnswers & " wrong, but, overall, nice job. Your grade: " & ((length of quizQuestions) - (length of wrongAnswers)) / (length of quizQuestions) * 100 & "%.")
	else
		showAlert("OK, you finished the quiz - you got questions " & makeListToString(wrongAnswers) & " wrong. Your grade: " & ((length of quizQuestions) - (length of wrongAnswers)) / (length of quizQuestions) * 100 & "%.")
	end if
end askQuiz
// example quiz below
askQuiz({"Roots Test", {{"spect", "to watch"}, {"audi", "to listen"}, {"phon", "sound"}, {"vis", "to see"}, {"voc", "voice"}, {"dict", "to speak"}, {"scrib", "to write"}, {"scrip", "to write"}, {"graph", "to write, to record"}, {"soci", "community"}, {"mem", "to remember"}, {"de-", "down"}, {"port", "to carry"}, {"mis", "to send"}, {"mit", "to send"}, {"contra", "against"}, {"man", "hands"}, {"sol/solv", "to loosen"}, {"poli", "city"}, {"gen", "birth"}, {"nat", "born"}, {"spir", "to breathe"}, {"photo", "light"}, {"flam", "fire"}, {"-able", "adjective"}, {"-ize", "verb"}, {"per", "through"}, {"fero, ferre, tuli, latum", "to bring, to bear, to carry"}, {"tendo, tendare, tetendi, tensum", "to stretch"}, {"sub", "under"}, {"torqueo, torquere, torsi, tortum", "to twist"}, {"verso, versare, versavi, versatum", "to turn"}, {"ex", "from"}, {"pono, ponere, poosui, positum", "to put"}, {"extra", "on the outside"}, {"medius", "middle"}, {"sequor", "to follow"}, {"cum", "with"}, {"teneo, tenere, tenui, tentum", "to hold"}}})
set myString to "{\"Hello\",{\"Hi\", \"Bye\"}}"
set myList to run script myString --> {"Hello", {"Hi", "Bye"}}

Oh my god! Duh. I forgot about good old run script.

Thanks much :smiley:

Not often used, but indespensible for this kind of special case. :wink: