converting color mode of PDF from RGB to CMYK

Hi,
I’ve been trying to put together a script that would allow me to open up a 2-page PDF that is currently RGB and convert it to CMYK. This is driving me nuts. I can’t figure out how to define CMYK and there are 75 PDFs that need to convert.

Thanks to everybody in advance!
-Dan

This is what I’ve come up with so far:

on open (thefile)

--open the file
tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
	open (thefile) with properties given color:CMYK
end tell

--convert the file
if (mode of thefile is not colorCMYK) then
	convert(thefile)
end if

end open

The document property that you need is Color Space but it is a read only property. Testing scripting the menu from System Events (in CS4) does not seem to work unless I go back into the application and click on the menu with the cursor. When I do click on the menu with the cursor the last menu event seems to be sent, but it won’t do you much good to you if you have to do that with every file. This also does not seem to be something that you can record an action for.

Your best bet is to save as a PDF and set the PDF save options to convert it for you. I believe that the settings you would want are:

with color conversion id set to color conversion to dest and color destination id set to color dest doc cmyk or color dest working cmyk

Another option if you have Acrobat Distiller would be to run them through that with settings that would convert them for you which might be a better solution anyway.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I completely overlooked the obvious and was doing way more work then I needed to do. Thanks again!

Sometimes what should be the obvious solution is the last one we think of, and only then when someone not looking at the problem blurts it out. I have been there more than once.

I ran into that same issue last year in CS3, but never thought of doing it through Distiller :confused: Thanks for the tip!