counting iChat lines

Wondered whether someone skilled in here might be able to put together a script (automator or applescript) that counts the lines in a set of iChat files. I’m looking for the average number of lines I use in an iChat conversation over a period of time. So, in essense, what it’d need to be able to do is read the iChat files in the documents, and then find out how many lines (CRs) were used within that conversation.

Would seem like a relatively simple thing to do, but I don’t know how.

Can anyone help?

i will give it my best shot, but before i start i have to ask you one thing. what do you mean by lines?

do you mean:

You: Hey there guy, how are you?
Friend: I’m great, couldn’t be better.

now, i’m assuming that that would count as 2 lines, correct? but what about this:

You: Hey there guy,
how are you?
Friend: I’m great, couldn’t be better.

that’s where i get confused, would that count as 2 lines or 3?

EDIT: BTW, i am not exactly an expert but i do like the challenge. however there are experts on this forum that will help you anyways, so you will get the script, if it’s possible, anyways. i would also like to know why you need this information, if it’s not too much to ask.

Thanks for taking the time to try. Your first example is the one I’m thinking of.

i’m going to be honest. i’ve been working on it for a while now and i still can’t figure it out. and sadly, i have other things that i have to get to in the coming month (i’m off to college soon). so with that, i will have to say that i give up. however, you could probably figure it out yourself by going in to the libraries of AppleScript. open AppleScript, and click on window → library, or press shift + command+ L and find an application that you think would help you with your project.

hope that helps.