determine if file exists in the trash

Hi,

I’ve got an occasional problem with out MYOB data file, in that it occasionally, and for no obvious reason, makes its way into the trash. Currently, it’s held on a spare internal drive on one of the macs on our network. When it happened yesterday, I found the path to the file in the drive’s .Trashes folder, and wrote the following applescript:

set theFile to "/Volumes/Repository/.Trashes/501/ourFile.myo/" as string

tell application "Finder"
	if exists file theFile then tell application "Mail"
		activate

set theAddress to "kevin@domain.co.uk, kate@domain.co.uk, accounts@domain.co.uk, ian@domain.co.uk"
		set theSubject to "MYOB's in the trash again"
		set theBody to "Warning! Warning! Warning! The MYOB file's in the Trash again!"

tell application "Mail"
			set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {recipient:theAddress, subject:theSubject, content:theBody & return & return}
			tell newMessage
				set visible to true
				make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:theAddress}
				send
			end tell
		end tell
	end tell

tell application "Finder"
		if not (exists file theFile) then display dialog "everything's cool"
	end tell
end tell

end
end

The idea is that this will be set to run a couple of times a day, and just alert everyone if there’s been a problem. Doesn’t work, though. The path’s right, permissions on the .Trashes/501 folder allow access, but the script keeps returning ‘everything’s OK’ even when it isn’t (binned the file for a test).

I’ve have tried this script on a test file binned from the spare drive in my mac, and it works then, but not on the mac that’s hosting the data file.

Any ideas?

cheers,

Kev.

Actually, I think I got it (bit neater too):

tell application "System Events"
	set theFile to "/Volumes/Repository/.Trashes/501/ourFile.myo"
	if exists file theFile then tell application "Mail"
		activate
		set theAddress to "kevin@domain.co.uk"
		set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {recipient:theAddress, subject:theSubject, content:theBody & return & return}
		tell newMessage
			set visible to true
			make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:theAddress}
			send
		end tell
	end tell

tell application "System Events"
		if not (exists file theFile) then display dialog "everything's cool"
	end tell
end tell
end

Cheers,

Kev.

Hi,

.or, without System Events or Finder

set theFile to "Repository:.Trashes:501:ourFile.myo"
try
	theFile as alias
	tell application "Mail"
		activate
		set theAddress to "kevin@domain.co.uk"
		tell newMessage
			set visible to true
			send
		end tell
	end tell
on error
	display dialog "everything's cool"
end try

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for that, very neat.

Al the best,

Kev.