Display Keynote chart using Applescript

Originally posted regarding using Pages to display a chart using AppleScript but was informed that this was no longer possible. Have now found that you can script Keynote to display a chart but cannot work out how to exit the slide display and loop back to request another input. As usual, any guidance would be gratefully received.

--
-- Set variables
--
property searchList : {"Want to rehome a cat", "Lost a cat", "Found a cat", "Want to get a cat neutered", "Want to give a donation", "General", "Want to adopt a cat", "Publicity"}
--
--  Input selected year and call type
--
repeat
	set inputData to display dialog "Enter year and type" default answer "" buttons {"OK", "Cancel"} default button 1 with title "Call Analysis by Year"
	set inputData to text returned of result as text -- get input data
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to " " -- set delimiters
	--
	set theYear to text item 1 of inputData -- get required year
	set tx to text item 2 of inputData -- get required type
	--
	set filePath to quoted form of "/Users/Ours/Documents/Cats Protection/CS Notepad/Call Details.txt" -- call details
	set searchItem to "/" & theYear -- extract year
	set foundRecs to do shell script "grep  " & searchItem & space & filePath -- only read matching records
	--
	set monthTotals to {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0} -- reset all totals
	set chartData to {}
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "£"
	--
	repeat with i from 1 to (number of paragraphs of foundRecs) -- search all calls
		set mx to text 4 thru 5 of (text item 1 of paragraph i of foundRecs) as integer -- extract month
		if (text item 5 of paragraph i of foundRecs) contains (item tx of searchList) then -- when found
			set item mx of monthTotals to ((item mx of monthTotals) + 1) -- add to month
		end if
	end repeat

repeat with i from 1 to 12
		set thisDataItem to {}
		repeat 1 times
			set the end of thisDataItem to item i of monthTotals
		end repeat
		set the end of chartData to thisDataItem
	end repeat
	--
	tell application "Keynote"
		set thisDocument to make new document with properties ¬
			{height:764, width:1024, document theme:theme "Black"}
		tell thisDocument
			set rowNames to {"Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"}
			set columnNames to {"COL A"}
			set rowCount to 12
			set columnCount to 1
			tell slide 1
				set the base slide to master slide "Title - Top" of thisDocument
				set the object text of the default title item to item tx of searchList & " " & theYear
				add chart row names rowNames column names columnNames ¬
					data chartData type stacked_vertical_bar_2d group by chart column
			end tell
			--set thisSlide to make new slide with properties {base slide:master slide "Title - Top"}
		end tell
		start thisDocument from first slide of thisDocument
	end tell
end repeat
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to " "

Hi.

I don’t use Keynote myself but I’ve had some success with the following in respect of your script:

1. Specifically tell Keynote to display the input dialog so that this isn’t displayed behind anything else.
  2. Follow the ‘start’ command with a ‘delay’ of suitable length and a ‘stop’ command. This will stop the presentation after the set interval and allow the repeat to return to the top for the next input.
  3. Alternatively, split the delay into shorter delays and try to set a document property between each. If this becomes possible, it means the presentation’s been stopped manually with the Escape key and there’s no need to complete the delays. It’s a bit Heath Robinson, but it seems to work!
--
-- Set variables
--
property searchList : {"Want to rehome a cat", "Lost a cat", "Found a cat", "Want to get a cat neutered", "Want to give a donation", "General", "Want to adopt a cat", "Publicity"}
--
--  Input selected year and call type
--
tell application "Keynote" to activate -- Bring Keynote to the front.
repeat
	-- Tell Keynote itself to display the input dialog.
	tell application "Keynote" to set inputData to display dialog "Enter year and type" default answer "" buttons {"OK", "Cancel"} default button 1 with title "Call Analysis by Year" -- with icon note
	set inputData to text returned of result as text -- get input data
	set astid to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to " " -- set delimiters
	--
	set theYear to text item 1 of inputData -- get required year
	set tx to text item 2 of inputData -- get required type

--
	set filePath to quoted form of "/Users/Ours/Documents/Cats Protection/CS Notepad/Call Details.txt" -- call details
	set searchItem to "/" & theYear -- extract year
	set foundRecs to do shell script "grep  " & searchItem & space & filePath -- only read matching records
	--
	set monthTotals to {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0} -- reset all totals
	set chartData to {}
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "£"
	--
	repeat with i from 1 to (number of paragraphs of foundRecs) -- search all calls
		set mx to text 4 thru 5 of (text item 1 of paragraph i of foundRecs) as integer -- extract month
		if (text item 5 of paragraph i of foundRecs) contains (item tx of searchList) then -- when found
			set item mx of monthTotals to ((item mx of monthTotals) + 1) -- add to month
		end if
	end repeat
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to astid

repeat with i from 1 to 12
		set thisDataItem to {}
		repeat 1 times
			set the end of thisDataItem to item i of monthTotals
		end repeat
		set the end of chartData to thisDataItem
		-- Or simply:
		-- set the end of chartData to {item i of monthTotals}
	end repeat
	--
	tell application "Keynote"
		set thisDocument to make new document with properties ¬
			{height:764, width:1024, document theme:theme "Black"}
		tell thisDocument
			set rowNames to {"Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun", "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"}
			set columnNames to {"COL A"}
			set rowCount to 12
			set columnCount to 1
			tell slide 1
				set the base slide to master slide "Title - Top" of thisDocument
				set the object text of the default title item to item tx of searchList & " " & theYear
				add chart row names rowNames column names columnNames ¬
					data chartData type stacked_vertical_bar_2d group by chart column
			end tell
			-- Start the one-slide presentation. The document's locked while the presentation's in progress and can't be modified.
			start
			-- Perform 5 seconds' worth of delays. If it becomes possible to set the document's 'auto loop' property during this time, the presentation's been stopped manually, so stop delaying early.
			repeat 10 times
				delay 0.5
				try
					set auto loop to false
					exit repeat
				end try
			end repeat
			-- Stop the presentation if it's not already stopped.
			try
				stop
			end try
		end tell
	end tell
end repeat

Many thanks for the solution, I didn’t think of putting the input dialogue inside the Keynote tell block, to be honest, I didn’t realise you could do that!!
Anyway, after a bit of tweaking it now works as required, once again, thank you.