Display preferences...can it be automated?

Hey guys/gals,

Got a question for ya’. I am a designer in a corporate environment. I have a 15" powerbook at work that they gave me. I have an extra 21" CRT monitor that is positioned to the right of the 'book screen at work. But when I come home, I have a 17" CRT that is positioned directly above the 'book screen. Is there a way to use Apple Script to automatically switch to the “home” setup with just a click of a button?

Thanks all,

Jesse

Use “do shell script scselect <location_name>” in an AppleScript application.

Okay, sorry. I meant to tell you that I have NO knowledge of Applescript. Is there a preformed script out there?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I really need some help w/ this one. I would greatly appreciate any help.

I believe the CL tool scselect is used for switching Network locations, not for switching display preferences. There is a freeware CL tool for switching screen resolutions and displays (cscreen) but it doesn’t allow you to re-adjust the relative position between multiple displays. There’s probably a way to do this with GUI scripting but it would take some trial and error and would be difficult to debug remotely.

Jon

Incidentally, here’s a script for using scselect to switch network locations from a choice of all locations:

Jon

[This script was automatically tagged for color coded syntax by Convert Script to Markup Code]

So, you think I’ll actually have to use a program? Cuz I am unable to install anything really, cuz they (my company) has put a lockdown on the computer, basically.

Yes, you’ll have to use a program, and if your computer is “locked down”, you won’t be able to.

Question for Jonn8: I was assuming that locations included screen information. Not so?

Nope. Locations in Mac OS X are just network settings (ports, IP addresses, DHCP, etc.), not other system-related settings such as displays, energy settings, or even time & date prefs. There are some third-party applications that bring this type of true location manager functionality back to Mac OS (it was part of Mac OS 9). See Location X, for instance.

Jon