Distiller default settings query, help required please...

Hi there,

Just a quick query regarding setting the ‘Default settings’ in Distiller.
Would the easiest way be to present the user with a list of the job options in this folder /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Settings/, which isn’t too much of a problem. Or is there another way to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Hi Nick,
if you’re trying to distill files using different job options you can specify them like this

set this_item to choose file
set outfolder to path to the desktop
tell application "Acrobat Distiller 7.0"
	activate
	Distill sourcePath this_item destinationPath outfolder adobePDFSettingsPath "/Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Settings/YourOptionsHere"
end tell

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply and for the help with this query.

This is the method I’d been using to set the job option, it’s the stage before that I was intersted in.
I was wondering if there was some way to find out what options are available to the user other than reading the contents of this directory /Library/Application Support/Adobe PDF/Settings/.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Nick

Looked through the Distiller library and I don’t see any way to ask Distiller for a list of settings. I think listing the contents of the folder is the best way. I am guessing you already have an idea how to do this but this is how I would do it in case anyone else is interested:

set DistillerSettingsFolder to "Macintosh HD:Library:Application Support:Adobe PDF:Settings:" as alias
with timeout of 9999 seconds
	list folder DistillerSettingsFolder without invisibles
	set DistillerSetting to choose from list (result) with prompt "Choose Distiller Setting:"
	if result is false then error number -128
	set FinalDistillerPath to POSIX path of (("Macintosh HD:Library:Application Support:Adobe PDF:Settings:" & DistillerSetting) as alias)
end timeout

Browser: Safari 419.3
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

You can also use “path to”

set DSF to (path to application support as Unicode text) & "Adobe PDF:Settings:" as text

Thanks for the reply Matt.

Yeah, I did already have a solution in mind, thanks for yours tho. :slight_smile:

I’d also had a read through the dictionary and couldn’t find anything, I was just curious as to whether or not there was some other way or something I’d missed in the dictionary.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks for the reply Mark.

That’s a nicer way to get to that folder. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Nick

I use the “path to” as property for partial path, then add name from choose from list handler this way it keeps the users down to just dealing with list of names they understand. There’s most likely neater ways but it does it for me.

Thanks for the reply Mark.

Yeah, that’s the sort of thing I was thinking of, curiosity go the better.

Thanks again,

Nick