drag and drop in PDFView

I am trying to track when a file is dropped on a PDFView to be able to get the attributes of the document and display them in the user interface.

I can initiate the drag operation with : myPdfView’s setAllowsDragging_(true). This works in that the document is displayed in the view, but I cannot track when the change of the document happens in the view.

Is there a way to implement the drag and drop methods for a PDFView as for NSWindow, NSTableView …
I also tried the notification center where I find a PDFViewDocumentChangedNotification but I cannot get it to work.

Every suggestion is welcome.

This worked for me to get the notification when I dropped a pdf on the view:

on applicationWillFinishLaunching_(aNotification)
	pdfView's setAllowsDragging_(true) 
        pdfView's setDelegate_(me)
        set noter to current application's NSNotificationCenter's defaultCenter()
        noter's addObserver_selector_name_object_(me,"pdfChange:",current application's PDFViewDocumentChangedNotification,missing value)
	end applicationWillFinishLaunching_

on pdfChange_(sender)
        log "document changed"
    end

Ric

You probably have to subclass the PDFView and override performDragOperation:.

The problem, though, is that at that stage it’s too late to get attributes like the file the PDF came from.

I used the solution of rdelmar and it works good. Thanks.
I can get the file path of the dropped file.

Shane i will also try your suggestion.

Thanks guys!!

Shane,

Actually it’s not too late, you can get it from the PDFView’s |document|()'s documentURL(). It took me a while to figure out why I couldn’t get this to work in ASOC at first (it worked in obj-c), because I was being lazy and using the crappy Xcode 4 editor, so I didn’t notice that “document()” needed pipes. Better to use your AppleScriptObjC Explorer where those things are obvious.

Ric

Ah, I missed that. it’s a much simpler method, then.