Droplet from Automator

SO, I want to create an app in automator that lets me drop a file on it, then do the shell script- “lzma --d -k && path_of_dropped_file”

Can I do this?

Model: iMac Late '06
AppleScript: Whatever comes with 10.4.11
Browser: Firefox 3.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Hi jpenguin,

I cannot offer you an Automator solution, but how about this AppleScript droplet that does what you want? Just copy and paste the code into a new Script Editor document and save it as an Application/Application bundle.

on open droppeditems
	repeat with droppeditem in droppeditems
		set itempath to POSIX path of (droppeditem as Unicode text)
		set command to "lzma --d -k && " & quoted form of itempath
		try
			do shell script command
		on error errmsg number errnum
			my dsperrmsg(errmsg, errnum)
		end try
	end repeat
end open

on dsperrmsg(errmsg, errnum)
	tell me
		activate
		display dialog "Sorry, an error occured:" & return & return & errmsg & return & "(" & errnum & ")" buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon caution giving up after 20
	end tell
end dsperrmsg

Thx

I did end up using the old PPC SciptEditor to do this, I also added a way to compress non LZMA files with lzma

on open draggedItems
	tell application "Finder"
		repeat with eachFile in draggedItems
			if the name of eachFile does not contain ".lzma" then
				set fName to quoted form of POSIX path of eachFile
				do shell script "/usr/local/bin/lzma -z -k " & fName
			else
				set fName to quoted form of POSIX path of eachFile
				do shell script "/usr/local/bin/lzma -d -k " & fName
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell
end open

on run
	display dialog "Drag and drop *.lzma files onto this icon to decompress them.  Or, drag a file that does not end with .lzma over this icon to compress it.  LZMA does not work on folders." buttons {"Close"} default button 1
end run

This works fine, but it is still a PPC application, so I guess I need to port it to Apple Script Studio

BTW-- If anyone wants to check this out, it requires http://tukaani.org/lzma/LZMA-Utils-4.32.6.pkg.zip to be installed---------LZMA is arelly good compression program, with a compression ratio better than bzip2!

Model: iMac Late '06
AppleScript: Whatever comes with 10.4.11
Browser: Firefox 3.0.1
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.4)

Saving a script as application bundle creates always an Universal app (on Tiger and Leopard)