Duplicate Excel file and save as another name

I’ve tried duplicating the excel file using a tell “finder” script, but couldn’t change the name and I’ve tried a tell “excel” script using save as command, still no luck. I can not figure out how to duplicate an excel file and save it as another name. I’m able to duplicate in to a different folder, but still can’t change the name. Any help?

You need to learn how to search the forums better. This has been answered a thousand times but here’s one way…

-- get the file to duplicate
set theFile to choose file with prompt "Choose the file to duplicate..." without invisibles

-- find out where to put the duplicate
tell application "Finder"
	set fileName to name of theFile
	set fileContainerPath to container of theFile
end tell
set newFile to choose file name with prompt "Where do you want the duplicate file saved?" default name fileName default location (fileContainerPath as alias)

-- duplicate it but do not allow overwriting the original file with the "-n" option
try
	do shell script "cp -n " & quoted form of POSIX path of theFile & space & quoted form of POSIX path of newFile
on error theError number errorNumber
	display dialog "There was an error:" & return & theError & return & return & "Error Number: " & errorNumber as text buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon stop
end try