Easy way to "encrypt" data for user's plist file

Greetings.

I am looking for an easy way to “encrypt” data that my app will be storing in a user’s plist file. I don’t need anything that requires serious, top-security encoding, but the final release app will have some passwords and login info that prying eyes shouldn’t be able to just come upon and write down. In perl I simply translate the string to ascii values, which turns it into a jumble of seemingly random characters, rather than an obvious and legible string. Obviously, any 2-bit teenage snoop could get the meat and potatoes out of this, but I’m not guarding national secrets so I’m not THAT worried. I just want a way to turn “MyUsername” and “MyPassword” into something functionally unreadable.

Does anyone know of a low-overhead way to do this, without writing a complicated encrypting formula? I’d be happy just shifting characters or translating to another encoding type, but cannot find a way that can be performed both ways… to both pack and unpack the data.

Thanks in advance…
j

Why not just use do shell script to call your perl code? UNIX also has some encryption libraries (and maybe CLI tools) available.

You can find here some approachs (specially useful the ROT13 routines by Marc Myers or TextEncrypter, by Scott Lewis):
http://www.macscripter.net/scriptbuilders/category.php?search=encrypt

Or, as Rainy Day said, you can use a very simple shell script. Eg, use base64, which is a very simple algorithm:

set semiEncryptedPW to (do shell script "echo " & quoted form of ¬
	(text returned of (display dialog "Please, enter pw!" default answer "" with icon note)) & ¬
	" | openssl base64")

set decryptPW to (do shell script "echo " & quoted form of ¬
	(text returned of (display dialog "Please, enter pw!" default answer semiEncryptedPW with icon note)) & ¬
	" | openssl base64 -d")

Or the md5 checksum (you simply store the checksum, then check the pw against the checksum):

set pwMD5 to (do shell script "echo " & quoted form of ¬
	(text returned of (display dialog "Please, enter pw!" default answer "" with icon note)) & ¬
	" | openssl md5")

Some more encryption tricks with “openssl”, here:
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Apache/openSSL.html