Eliminate dup images and transpose metadata info onto highest rez imag

Hey all,

GOAL:

I’m trying to write an applescript program that utilizes the Exiftool to eliminate duplicate images in a directory and transpose metadata information from the lower res duplicates to the higher resolution.

PLAN:

In order to identify duplicates and delete them I want to start by pulling the DateTimeOriginal and SubSecTimeOriginal tags from a specified directory recursively. Then I want to parse the returned information into a list and pull the file size of each image as well. Then I want to sort this information first by DateTimeOriginal then by SubSecTimeOriginal and then by filesize. Finally the script will repeat down the list and determine if a file is a duplicate (DateTimeOriginal and SubSecTimeOriginal are the same for two files) and read/write metadata to the higher resolution file (larger file size).

SCRIPT:

on run
   --establish imageData variable
   set imageData to {}
   set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {""}

--choose directory with images
   set folderPath to (choose folder with prompt "Please choose folder with images:") as text

--pull Date/Time and Sub Sec metadata information from directory
   set exiftoolData to paragraphs of (do shell script "exiftool -r -DateTimeOriginal -SubSecTimeOriginal " & (quoted form of POSIX path of folderPath))

--parse data from exiftool
   repeat with i from 1 to ((count of exiftoolData) - 2)
      set dateCheck to (characters 1 thru 18 of item (i + 1) of exiftoolData) as text
      set subsecCheck to (characters 1 thru 21 of item (i + 2) of exiftoolData) as text
      if ((dateCheck is equal to "Date/Time Original") and (subsecCheck is equal to "Sub Sec Time Original")) then
         set imageDate to (((characters 35 thru -1) of (item (i + 1) of exiftoolData)) & ":" & ((characters 35 thru -1) of (item (i + 2) of exiftoolData))) as text
         set imagePath to ((characters 10 thru -1) of (item i of exiftoolData)) as text
         set imageSize to size of (info for imagePath) as text
         repeat until (count of items of imageSize) is 12
            set imageSize to ("0" & imageSize)
         end repeat
         --store parsed data into imageData variable
         set end of imageData to (imageDate & " " & imageSize & " " & imagePath)
         set i to i + 2
      end if
   end repeat

if imageData is equal to {} then
      display dialog "Error: There are no files with appropriate metadata in this directory." buttons {"OK"} default button 1
      return
   end if

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {ASCII character 10}
   set imageDataString to (imageData as string)
   return imageDataString
   --sort images by Date/Time, Sub Sec, and then file size
   set sortedImageData to do shell script "echo " & quoted form of imageDataString & " | sort"

return sortedImageData
end run

Note: This script goes as far as creating a string that is sorted properly.

PROBLEM:

Basically the script works perfectly except with a large number of files–and that is the purpose of building this tool. For some reason the script errors out on the “set sortedImageData to do shell script “echo " & quoted form of imageDataString & " | sort”” line and I believe this is because there are too many files in the list.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know how to get around the program crashing from too many files? Or can I utilize Exiftool more effectively to solve my problem easier?

Thanks for any help!

Browser: Safari 534.16
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.6)