error number -1728 Applescript & some issues with spot

I have been working on this script for weeks. Basically I would like to batch (using AS) illustrator files. (open, find spot colors, change to process, save, close). So far I’m able to open files but the part when is supposed to change them into process is falling giving me an error number -1728 from document 1 of document 1. I tried to put as many --comments on the script
I want to clarify my knowlege in AS is basic. What is this error? I search specifically for this error number with no success. What I have was pieced together and modified from 2 scripts I found. I’m challenging myself with not too much success but If I don’t to ask, I don’t learn. Can you anyone guide me to a solution?

property file_types : {"EPSf", "EPSP"}
property file_extensions : {"eps"}
--Would like just Illustrator eps files not Photoshop eps. How can you do this? currently if in the folder there are Photoshop eps files the script is opening those files

set the_folder to (choose folder with prompt "Select the files containing Illustrator docs to change spot to process colors:")
set the_images to get_folder_list(the_folder, file_types, file_extensions, true, false)

if the_images = {} then
  beep
          display dialog "No valid Illustrator found in chosen folder." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon 0 giving up after 10
          return
end if

on openLegacyFile(fileToOpen) --Open a file with automatic update of legacy text --(I found this in the ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR CS4SCRIPTING REFERENCE)
          tell application "Adobe Illustrator"
  activate
  open POSIX file fileToOpen as alias with options {update legacy text:true}
          end tell
end openLegacyFile

activate
  --set user interaction level of script preferences to never interact --Will ignore any dialogs when opening files. Currently NOT working with files with embedded color profiles I'm getting a message: Your current settings discard CMYK profiles in linked content but profiles were set to be honored when this document was created. Cancel/Continue

repeat with the_image in the_images
  open the_image as alias
                    tell document 1

set locked of every layer to false --unlock all layers
                              set locked of every page item to false --unlock any page items
                              set selected of (every page item) to true
                              set spotColorCount to count of spots

try
                                        set color type of (spots of document 1 whose name is not "[Registration]" and its color type is spot color) to process color
                              end try
                              if exists (swatches whose class of color of it is CMYK color info) then
                                        set t to (name of every swatch whose class of color of it is CMYK color info)
                                        my convertSpotSwatchesToProcess(t)
                              end if
  --This is the part that is not working at all. It doesnt find any spot colors
-- the results is --> error number -1728 from document 1 of document 1

--set user interaction level of script preferences to interact with all --restore prefs
                    end tell
          end repeat
end tell

on convertSpotSwatchesToProcess(list_of_swatches)
                    tell document 1
                              set replacementSwatches to {}
                              set deleteSwatches to {}
                              set cmykSwatches to every swatch whose class of color of it is CMYK color info and name is in list_of_swatches
                              repeat with thisSwatch in cmykSwatches
                                        set swatchName to name of thisSwatch
                                        set swatchColor to color of thisSwatch
                                        copy {name:swatchName, color:swatchColor} to end of replacementSwatches
                                        set end of deleteSwatches to thisSwatch
                              end repeat
  delete deleteSwatches
                              repeat with thisReplacement in replacementSwatches
  make new spot at end with properties thisReplacement
                              end repeat
                    end tell
          end tell
end convertSpotSwatchesToProcess

on get_folder_list(the_folder, file_types, file_extensions)
          set the_files to {}
          tell application "Finder" to set folder_list to every item of folder the_folder
          repeat with new_file in folder_list
                    try
                              set temp_file_type to file type of new_file
                              set temp_file_extension to name extension of new_file
                    on error
                              set temp_file_type to "folder"
                              set temp_file_extension to ""
                    end try
                    if file_types contains temp_file_type or file_extensions contains temp_file_extension then set end of the_files to (new_file as string)
          end repeat
          return the_files
end get_folder_list

-I'm getting this results get file type of document file "Black.eps" of folder "test" of folder "Desktop" of folder "user" of folder "Users" of startup disk --> missing value

Hi. I didn’t really test your code, but, in skimming it, it looks as though there’s a double reference to the document, which may be problematic.

Change this:

set color type of (spots of document 1 whose name is not "[Registration]" and its color type is spot color) to process color

to this:

set (spots whose color type is spot color)'s color type to process color

So what if your code:

set t to (name of every swatch whose class of color of it is CMYK color info)
my convertSpotSwatchesToProcess(t)

returns nothing? What if t is empty? If you pass an empty value to your other handler, then that handler is going to error out.

Additionally, in your function “convertSpotSwatchesToProcess” you are doing this:

set cmykSwatches to every swatch whose class of color of it is CMYK color info and name is in list_of_swatches

This won’t work. You can’t ask for some items of a list whose value is equal to something. Lists just can’t do that (and it’s been that way in Applescript forever). You have to manually step through (do a repeat) to get the items in your list doing a comparison for the value, and return a new list to work on.

Do you have Script Debugger from LateNight Software? You should, it’s a great program. It would help you step through the code line by line and see the variable values and step into functions/handlers.

Hi, SuperMacGuy. The issues you note are more cosmetic than operational. The t variable, if empty, is not passed, as the handler call resides in an if block. The line

is fully functional. The intended result of that statement is contained in list_of_swatches; rather than loop through that list, the OP made a redundant statement and iterated through that.

Thank you SuperMacGuy & Marc Anthony. That help. My progress with this script is really slow but I’m learning.