excel scripting

Need help with an applescript for excel. Using a mac 9.02 and office 2001. I have an excel file with only one Column called User_ID. I Need to take all the strings in that column and add them to a listbox in a Realbasic5 app (Populate a listbox). But when my Excel activates I need a file open dialog box so I can choose which Excel file I want to use at that time. myFile = Application.GetOpenFilename (“All Files, .”)

on run
tell application “Excel”
activate
open file dialog box
select
close every workbook
quit
end tell
end run

If you know the location of the excel file you wish to open, why NOT let the Finder do the work for you!

for example I have an excel file I regularly open called “Site Info”.
It is located at: file “Site Info” of folder “Paul” of folder “Courtade” of startup disk
So my script reads as follows:

tell application "Finder"
	select file "Site Info" of folder "Paul" of folder "Courtade" of startup disk
	open selection
end tell

:oops:

I use this code to get a dialog box to come up so I can choose the file. But after I choose my excel file in the dialog box and hit the open button nothing happens. My file I Selected doesn’t open. Help

tell application “Microsoft Excel”
Activate
set File_Open to (Choose File With Prompt " “Select an Excel File.”" )
Open
end tell

try this

tell application “Microsoft Excel”
Activate
set File_Open to (Choose File With Prompt ““Select an Excel File.”” )
Open File_Open
end tell

Would there be a way to select a column to the EOF. Not anything like this select column (“A”).
Something more on the line as this
Start the selcetion from the 2nd row of the 1st column to the End of File of 1st column
select Range “R2C1:EOFC1”

really the only way I know of to do that is to create a loop that finds when you have an empty cell.

sudo code

repeat
set x to contents of cell y of column z
if x does not equal “” then
do what you want with the data
else
exit repeat
end if

end repeat