FanSpeed Control v1.0

This Gives You The Option To Change The Fan Settings In Your Mac!.

!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! !!!

-- FanSpeed v1.0 
-- Copyright (C) 2011 AudialRedux

tell application "Finder" to activate

set settingfan to (choose from list {"Fast", "Automatic", "Slow", "Default"} with title "FanSpeed v1.0")

if settingfan is "Fast" then
   set fanspeed to "sudo pmset -c -a dps 0 reduce 0"
do shell script "sudo pmset -c -a dps 0 reduce 0" password "administrator password" with administrator privileges

else if settingfan is "Automatic" then
  set automaticfanspeed to "sudo pmset -c -a dps 1 reduce 0"
do shell script "sudo pmset -c -a dps 1 reduce 0" password "administrator password" with administrator privileges

else if settingfan is "Slow" then
set slowfanspeed to "sudo pmset -c -a dps 0 reduce 1"
do shell script "sudo pmset -c -a dps 0 reduce 1" password "administrator password" with administrator privileges

else if settingfan is "Default" then
  set automaticfanspeed to "sudo pmset -c -a dps 1 reduce 0"
do shell script "sudo pmset -c -a dps 1 reduce 0" password "administrator password" with administrator privileges

end if

Same code but less overhead

set settingfan to (choose from list {"Fast", "Automatic", "Slow", "Default"} with title "FanSpeed v1.0")

if settingfan = false then
	return --user pressed cancel so we stop
end if

set command to "sudo pmset -c -a dps 0 reduce 0"
	set command to "sudo pmset -c -a dps 0 reduce 1"
else --this is default/automatic
	set command to "sudo pmset -c -a dps 1 reduce 0"
end if

do shell script command password "administrator password" with administrator privileges

LOL. You are such a noob.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hey AudialRedux, got your message, it’s cool.

Listen, I don’t know if this makes a difference, but

if settingfan = false then
	return
end if

set no1 to 0
	set no2 to 0
	set no1 to 0
	set no2 to 1
else if settingfan is "Default" then
	set no1 to 1
	set no2 to 0
end if

do shell script ("sudo pmset -c -a dps " & no1 & " reduce " & no2) as string password "administrator password" with administrator privileges

that may work better :slight_smile:

pneshati thank you so much!!! :smiley:

Does anyone know how I can get the current Fan rpm? I can’t see anything in pmset that does that.

Hello.

Adjusting the fan speed is intriguing, as I have a laptop, with a battery casted into the alloy, I’d rather increase the speed, than lower it, as lower rpm’s, no matter how much nicer that sound is, will also lower the life-span of the battery by the increased heat. On the other hand, even though fans seem to be replacable, I think they will wear down faster, if I increase the fan-speed, to keep the machine cooler, so I think I’ll pass this one.

If the problem is the sound of the fan, then you may consider lowering the resulotion, of whatever you are watching if that is the problem, or really closing everything you don’t need to have open. (One reason, I have come to really like stay open applets over launchAgents, as they are easier to shut down and re-launch.)

I had a glimpse at ioreg, and the fan speed isn’t there. A little bit of googling should get you some source code, or utilities for reading and setting the fan speed. Just google fan speed os x. (Worked for me.)