Filemaker application dictionary does not appear............

when I open >file>dictionaries> in Script Editor. I am using Filemaker Pro 6.04 and Mac Panther. I can open the Filemake dictionary using the browse button in the dictionary window but Script Editor does not seem to recognize the Filemake commands.

I am just getting my “feet wet” so to speak with Applescript. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated… Thanks

Ray,

Are you putting the Filemaker commands inside of a “tell” statement? Example:

tell application “FileMaker Pro 6.04”

• filemaker commands here - - -
        end tell

Hope this helps get you started.

Brad Bumgarner, CTA

Morning Brad, many thanks for your reply. I have not been including the filemaker commands within the “tell/end tell” statements. I also have not been putting in the filemaker version #. I am going to try this out and I will post the results here. If I continue to have a problem I will also post the script I have created.
Again, thanks for you kind reply… Ray

Hi again Brad, I put in the Filemaker version # and the dictionary list popped up! Now I am having a syntax problem with opening the file. I receive a syntax error "expected expression, etc. but found “with”. This occurrs on the password line. Here is the Applescript:

tell application “Finder”
activate
select startup disk
→ startup disk
open selection
→ startup disk
end tell
activate
open “Web_TA_Registration_DB.fp5”
[with password 0007]
do script FileMaker script “Merge Web_TA_Pre_Reg_DB.fp5 file with Web_TA_Registration_DB.fp5”
end tell

Any assistance would be greatly apprecialted! Thanks, Ray

Ray,

I don’t have FileMaker myself, but from the looks of things I think I see the problem. In applescript dictionaries terms in brackets “[]” are optional paramaters that may be included in the command. Where you have:

I think you should have:
open “Web_TA_Registration_DB.fp5” with password 0007

Hope this helps,
Brad Bumgarner, CTA

I use a full path when opening a file. It should be all you need.

activate
open file “Macintosh HD:Users:fej:Desktop:SymColJewelry:SymCol_Files: SymCol_Key_.fp5” with password “whatever”
end tell

The password is text, so it should have quotes around it.
Question: Does it really have the “6.04” in the app name?

Here’s the version I use to drop files on. I hate to type passwords (over and over):

on open (theFiles)
tell application “Finder”
ignoring application responses
launch application file id “FMP5”
end ignoring
tell application “FileMaker Pro”
activate
open theFiles with password “whatever”
end tell
end tell
end open

The extra stuff helps if you have several versions of FileMaker (4, 7) on your machine.

Hi Brad and Fenton (Is this the Fenton that has been helping me with automating my housekeeping chores??). If so, we are one step closer! Thanks to both of you for your kind assistance. I have been able to successfully open the Filemaker program and password protected file with the following script: :smiley:

activate
open file “160GB ATA HD:Users:admin:Desktop:Databases:Web Registration Database:Web_TA_Registration_DB.fp5” with password “0007”
end tell

I will now try to understand the second script that you have provided Fenton.

Again, thanks to you both… Ray

We’ll, I have one more problem to overcome. I added the “do script” line and get an error message “object not found”, this is referring to the script name. I have checked the name and verified that it is spelled correctly. Not sure what the problem is.

activate
open file “160GB ATA HD:Users:admin:Desktop:Databases:Web Registration Database:Web_TA_Registration_DB.fp5” with password “0007”
do script “Merge Web_TA_Pre_Reg_DB.fp5 file with Web_TA_Registration_DB.fp5”
end tell

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated… Ray

do script problem solved! Many thanks to all… Ray