find/replace with computers hostname help

Hi all, I am new to applescript and still learning.

I have a simple two line text file that i would like to populate with the computer’s hostname at the end of the file. Can someone help me with this please?

Ideally, i would need to check line 2 of the text file to see if it starts with “id=”. If it does, display line 2 (or the value after “=”) in a text box to be able to edit it if needed.

If there is no line 2 or nothing after the prefix, then fill in the prefix and auto-fill the hostname of the computer. Then display line 2 (or the value after “=”) in the text box to verify that the entry is correct.

once a user clicks ok, it will save the file and close.

Thanks in advance!

This will get you started:

set HostName to (do shell script "hostname -s") -- -s removes the domain, usually .local
display dialog HostName

You don’t tell us enough about the file you want to alter; it’s path for example – or do you want to choose it? The usual process would be to open the file for access with write permission, read it in as a variable in your script, parse it however you wish, i.e. look for id= in paragraph 2, then write the amended text back to the file and close access. Something like this:

set tFile to (choose file)
try
	set F to open for access tFile with write permission
	set fileText to read F
	set P1 to paragraph 1 of fileText
	set HostName to (do shell script "hostname -s")
	display dialog HostName
	if (count paragraphs of fileText) = 1 then -- second paragraph missing
		set P2 to "id=" & HostName
	else -- there is a second paragraph
		set P2 to paragraph 2 of fileText
		if P2 contains "id=" then 
			set P2 to P2 & HostName -- add the hostname
		else
			set P2 to "id=" & HostName -- add the whole thing
		end if
	end if
	set eof of F to 0 -- erases the original file
	write P1 & return & P2 to F -- write the new text
	close access F -- close the file
on error
	close access F -- if all hell breaks loose, close the file.
end try

Bear in mind that this script will lose anything else in the file after paragraph 2 but you say it’s a two-line file.

Thank you so much for the kick in the right direction, I really appreciate it!

I was able to build on what you suggested and ended up with an applescript that accounts for a couple of different configurations, and I am still expanding.

set tFile to ("some:file:here")
try
	set F to open for access tFile with write permission
	set fileText to read F
	set P1 to paragraph 1 of fileText
	set P2 to paragraph 2 of fileText
	set hostname to (do shell script "hostname -s")
	display dialog "What should the id be set to?" with icon note buttons {"blank", "custom", "hostname"} default button 3
	if button returned of result is "blank" then
		set P2 to "" -- Line 2 should be blank
	else if button returned of result is "custom" then
		display dialog "What should it be set to?" with icon note buttons {"cancel", "Ok"} default answer "" default button 2
		set P2 to "id=" & (text returned of result) -- Line 2 should be set to the result of the text box
	else if button returned of result is "hostname" then
		set P2 to "id=" & hostname -- Line 2 should be set to the hostname of the computer
	end if
	display dialog "The properties have been changed to:" & return & P1 & return & P2 buttons {"cancel", "ok"}
	set eof of F to 0 -- erases the file
	write P1 & return & P2 to F
	close access F
on error
	close access F
end try