Finder.app: Select an Folder/File on teh Desktop

If there’s a better way to select a folder/file (without opening its container window) on the desktop, feel free to correct me. My solution is a bit strange:

tell application "Finder"
	set collapsed of windows to true
	set selection to (folder "2018" of desktop)
	set collapsed of windows to false
end tell

@KniazidisR, and your code will brake if Desktop is not selected in sidebar. And thats why I made a different approach that always work. It looks to me that collapsed window is to have app window at front without menu bar. (I have never used)

The reason to close window is to make sure old references is not activated. Its very easy to believe some code is the solution and later itsn’t. Run your code and select in sidebar Applications and return its selection. It will return a empty list.

I did not want to continue the argument, but it is very bad that your conclusion is incorrect and will mislead others. The empty selection is not the result of the script, but the result of your extra manual manipulation in the sidebar. You would also restart the computer to be sure - my script returns an empty selection.

And what is the concept of selection in the Finder? The selection in the frontmost Finder window. If, after the selection, make another window (in which nothing is selected) as the front window, and then read the selection property, then naturally you will get an empty selection.

@KniazidisR
Anyone are allowed to respond to your message with any value to you (I guess it was not) or others.
If that is useful to you or not (That is your problem and only yours). I do not need to know it or
some else on this forum do not need to read it.

I try to explain to you that your code only work if selected Desktop is in Sidebar it was not more
and that. And you also post the code in code exchange for other to use and never explained basic knowledge if someone like to use it. I guess that was not important to you.

Ps. My machine is Monterey 12.6.1 and maybe that is different

1. folder “Manjaro” of desktop give me path to the folder in Finder
  2. selection (folder “Manjaro” of desktop) do not select the folder “Manjaro” in desktop
  3. Nigels script also return a empty list.

Hi.

KniazidisR’s script works as advertised on my Mojave system, regardless of anything being selected in sidebars. The empty list is the result of the second collapsed setting.

A variation which also works is actually to close and reopen any open Finder Windows. This makes the windows simply disappear and reappear on my system, instead of swooping in and out of the Dock, but it may depend on my own preference settings.

set tofw to target of Finder windows
	close tofw
	open tofw
end tell

Thanks, @Nigel Garvey,

I tested your script on Catalina, and I think it’s better than my solution, as it works about 2 times faster. So fast that I had to add an automated delay to keep things running smoothly.

set tofw to target of Finder windows
	close tofw
	repeat while ((get count Finder windows) > 0)
		delay 0.02
	end repeat
	open tofw
end tell

Not sure if this helps.

set myFolder to (folder "2018" of desktop)
	--set selection to desktop
	set selection to myFolder
	open myFolder
end tell

I don’t understand what you mean by not opening the container window.
The desktop is always open.

This one works for me… and it doesn’t matter if Finder is open or not.
The code return the path to folder “Manjaro” of desktop, everytime, I use Monterey 12.6.1

1. The code open the desktop folder of home directory.
  2. Set the selection to folder “Manjaro” of desktop
	close windows
	open folder "Desktop" of home
	set selection to (folder "Manjaro" of desktop)
	return its selection
end tell

The icons of files and folders on the Desktop can be selected either on the Desktop itself or in the Finder window which opens when you open the user’s “Desktop” folder. The Finder’s scripting commands reveal and select both take the latter approach:

tell application "Finder" to select folder "2018" of desktop
--> folder "Desktop"'s Finder window opens if not open already. Folder "2018" is selected therein.

KniazidisR’s hack selects the icon on the Desktop itself (in both Mojave and Catalina) should this be deemed necessary.