For Peer Review - Google News Search...

I use Google News often because (believe it or not) I’m still on a dial-up modem connection and Google News provides a quick overview of the day’s headlines.

But when I’m trying to follow a breaking news story, it generally takes several clicks and a deal of waiting to drill down to the latest reports.

So, I put the following together to make short(er) work of searching. The script will search either Google News or Associated Press news (via Google) for stories sorted by date.

It also preserves the last set of search terms in a text file (in Application Support) so if the script is used from a keyboard command utility app, the text file saves the search terms… as a property might be saved.

I launch it from a bookmark in Safari, but that’s a another story…

This is compiled and works on 10.4.11. I wonder if it still works for those on Leopard or Snow Leopard.

If not, and if anyone has the patience to tweak it, I’d like to see the working result and retest it here on Tiger.

If it seems useful to others, I’ll post it to Code Exchange.

Thanks…

Peter B.

set app_support to (path to application support from user domain)

tell application "Finder"
	try
		make new folder in folder app_support with properties {name:"Search Logs"}
	end try
end tell

set search_log to (path to application support from user domain) & "Search Logs:News Search.txt" as text

try
	set search_terms to read file search_log
on error
	set search_terms to ""
end try

tell me to activate
display dialog "Enter Search Terms..." & return & return default answer search_terms buttons {"Cancel", "Search AP", "Search All News"} default button 3 with title "News Search"

copy the result as list to {search_terms, button_returned}

if button_returned is "Search AP" then

set search_prefix to "http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&as_q="

set search_suffix to "&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_scoring=n&btnG=Search&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=a&as_minm=4&as_mind=21&as_maxm=5&as_maxd=21&as_nsrc=associated+press&as_nloc=&geo=&as_author=&as_occt=any"

end if

if button_returned is "Search All News" then

set search_prefix to "http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q="

set search_suffix to "&cf=all&scoring=n"

end if

try
	open for access file search_log with write permission
	set eof of file search_log to 0
	write search_terms to file search_log as string starting at eof
	close access file search_log
on error
	close access file search_log
end try

set ASTID_Priors to AppleScript's text item delimiters
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {" "}
set amended_search_terms to every text item of search_terms as list
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to {"+"}
set amended_search_terms to every text item of amended_search_terms as text
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ASTID_Priors

set search_link to search_prefix & amended_search_terms & search_suffix

open location search_link

(*

tell application "Safari"
	activate

try
		set _exists to document 1
		tell front document
			set URL to search_link
		end tell
	on error
		make new document
		tell front document
			set URL to search_link
		end tell
	end try

end tell

*)

Hi Peter,

Your script works ok on Snow Leopard for me.

Below is an alternative take. You can save the search_terms as a property of the script and it will save it for the next run (unless it is recompiled in between). The python script URL encodes your search term (in case it has characters not allowed in URLs - including spaces).

Best wishes

John M

property search_terms : ""

tell me to activate
display dialog "Enter Search Terms..." & return & return default answer search_terms buttons {"Cancel", "Search AP", "Search All News"} default button 3 with title "News Search"
copy the result as list to {search_terms, button_returned}

if button_returned is "Search AP" then

set search_prefix to "http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&as_q="
	set search_suffix to "&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_scoring=n&btnG=Search&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=a&as_minm=4&as_mind=21&as_maxm=5&as_maxd=21&as_nsrc=associated+press&as_nloc=&geo=&as_author=&as_occt=any"

else if button_returned is "Search All News" then

set search_prefix to "http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q="
	set search_suffix to "&cf=all&scoring=n"

end if

set amended_search_terms to do shell script "/usr/bin/python -c 'import sys, urllib; print urllib.quote(sys.argv[1])' " & quoted form of search_terms

open location search_prefix & amended_search_terms & search_suffix

John:

Thanks for the suggested alternative… Google appears to handle the escaped (?) spaces using “%20” (as introduced by the Python shell script) as well as “+” (as per my script).

I noted that there were some date related parameters in the search_suffix and I tried removing them to see what might happen… thus far, no apparent ‘harm’. I don’t know which (if any) other parameters may also be ‘breakable’.

But I’ll continue to play with the script and see what else turns up.

PB