General Platform Questions

As of right now I am running System 9.0.4, Applescript 1.6 and I use Smile as my development environment. Last night I ordered a new IMAC. It will arrive Friday or next Monday. It will come loaded with System X. Is Applescript Studio included? What will I need to do to my current scripts so that they will continue to work with the new system (if anything)? What additions will/will not work with System X? Anything else I need to know or should be asking?
Thanks, Brad Bumgarner

: As of right now I am running System 9.0.4, Applescript 1.6 and I use Smile as
: my development environment. Last night I ordered a new IMAC. It will
: arrive Friday or next Monday. It will come loaded with System X. Is
: Applescript Studio included? What will I need to do to my current scripts
: so that they will continue to work with the new system (if anything)? What
: additions will/will not work with System X? Anything else I need to know
: or should be asking?
Well, here’s a bit of guidance:
---- 1. AppleScript Studio isn’t bundled or pre-installed. You’ll need to get a copy of Apple Developer Tools December 2001. That’s the most recent full install. Then there’s an update for last month. To get it, you’ll just need to register as an online member of ADC. Apple Developer Connection. It’s free. http://connect.apple.com (Click on “Join ADC Now”) Once you’re on board, you can download all of this.
---- 2. As for your old scripts working in X, well, there are a couple of variables here. Scripting in OS X will have some significant changes to what you’re used to. One, naturally, the app you’re trying to script will need to be scriptable. You knew that. The next, you’ll need to look into possible changes in the X scripting implementation for your script. Some syntax will have changed. You’ll just need to debug and root out what parts need changing to work properly. This is just a necessary evil of migrating to X. Particularly from a scripter’s viewpoint.
It’ll also help being part of ADC to get the 2 recent beta AppleScript udates which aren’t yet available to the public. These have fixed quite a few AppleScript kinks most of us have run into during our transition. Whether you’re still primarily 9 or X. Just keep in mind, some may be bugs to be fixed, others may just be changes you’ll have to work around or learn the new way.
---- 3. There are only a handful of OS X scripting additions out there so far. You can naturally check the MacScripter database to see what they are.
---- 4. As for Smile, it’ll naturally have to be X native to use it in X. As I understand it, scripting in 9 Classic MODE should work as expected most of the time, but don’t be surprised if it’s hit and miss. I boot to 9 completely to script 9 and I boot to X completely to script X. This has been most reliable for me.
I hope this information helps and feel free to post again if you need further.
Be well.
T.J.

: ---- 4. As for Smile, it’ll naturally have to be X native to use it in X. As
: I understand it, scripting in 9 Classic MODE should work as expected
: most of the time, but don’t be surprised if it’s hit and miss. I boot to 9
: completely to script 9 and I boot to X completely to script X. This has
: been most reliable for me.
One major issue is that Class Smile (versions < 2.3) cannot send any commands to the Finder, since it’s trying to send to the OS 9 Finder, which is inaccessible under OS 9. Smile 2.3.x is available for Mac OS X from the homepage.mac.com/satimage site, I believe. It is a beta version, though, and has a few quirks: some interface glitches, the PageUp and PageDown keys do not work, etc.
All in all, though Smile 2.3.x works pretty well, and I look forward to an update that re-combines class and OS X version with full functionality. Smile is a great program!
Another thing completely broken in AppleScript for OS X is the form-POST function of URL Access Scripting. You can still do regular uploads, downloads (including GET form-submission), but you can’t submit forms that use POST with UAS, even in OS X 10.1.3. This probably won’t affect, you, though. It seems that very few people use that capability of UAS.

Contrary to what’s been said here, I have a huge problems converting scripts from OS9 to OSX while keeping funcionality. Most conversions fail for that reason. My personal suggestion would be to start getting involved in scripting in OSX and forget OS9.
Eelco Houwink =========================================== Migration issues: Program linking problems Broken and impossible references to Finder and system objects Network setup sripting (gone !) 90% of OSAX functionality not available in OSX Essential system functions not scriptable (network, airport) Complexity of Unix: requires more parameter settings to get mainstream actions done) Lower responsiveness and reliability in complex scripts
and so on. ===========================================

: Contrary to what’s been said here, I have a huge problems converting scripts
: from OS9 to OSX while keeping funcionality. Most conversions fail for that
: reason. My personal suggestion would be to start getting involved in
: scripting in OSX and forget OS9.
: Eelco Houwink =========================================== Migration issues:
: Program linking problems Broken and impossible references to Finder and
: system objects Network setup sripting (gone !) 90% of OSAX functionality
: not available in OSX Essential system functions not scriptable (network,
: airport) Complexity of Unix: requires more parameter settings to get
: mainstream actions done) Lower responsiveness and reliability in complex
: scripts
: and so on. ===========================================
Thank you to everyone that has responded. Once I have my new machine, I will check out Smile 2.3.x. I too love Smile. Most of my work has been done using Smile Custom dialog boxes, which means that I MAY have a LOT of recoding to do. Fortunately, my coding is for my use only.
Thanks again, Brad Bumgarner