Generate a folder/subfolder > save to finder with template

Hi everyone,

Could someone please help. I have a script which is a job folder script for a small studio. This script generates a folder and sub-folder apon the naming string. The next part is where I’m trying to get some help, advice, or a link to explain a little (scripting newbie).

so the first stage of the script is this:

tell application "Finder" 
	choose folder

to set targetFolder to target of Finder window 1 as text
set jobNumber to getParameter for "Enter Job Number"
set jobTitle to getParameter for "Enter Job Title"
set folderStructure to "/{'Design'/{'1. Working','2. Output','3. Assets','4. Ref'},'Artwork'/{'• Final Artwork','• Previous Proof','Images Hi Res','PDFs'},'Copy'/{'• Previous Proof','• Copy Brief'},'Production'/{'Briefs','Estimates','Feedback','PDFs','Production','QA (Signoff)','Scope (SOW)','Specs','Timings'},'Creative'/{'1. Working','2. Output','3. Assets','4. Ref'}}"

do shell script "/bin/mkdir -p " & quoted form of POSIX path of targetFolder & "/" & quoted form of (jobNumber & "_" & jobTitle) & folderStructure

on getParameter for prompt
	repeat
		display dialog prompt default answer ""
		set parameter to text returned of result
		if result is not "" then return parameter
	end repeat
end getParameter

this script generates the folders I’d like, but I have a TXT template called checklist.txt on the server. I would love a way of actionsctipt to add a duplicate of this file and add it to the ‘Production’ folder. Is it possible to do this?

thanks

lister

try this, you’ll need to add the correct path to your text file, its quick and dirty, and can be improved i’m sure, but it will give nudge in the right direction

property mycopypath : "PATH TO YOUR TXT FILE:TEST.txt" --Addd your path
property folderStructure : "/{'Design'/{'1. Working','2. Output','3. Assets','4. Ref'},'Artwork'/{'• Final Artwork','• Previous Proof','Images Hi Res','PDFs'},'Copy'/{'• Previous Proof','• Copy Brief'},'Production'/{'Briefs','Estimates','Feedback','PDFs','Production','QA (Signoff)','Scope (SOW)','Specs','Timings'},'Creative'/{'1. Working','2. Output','3. Assets','4. Ref'}}"

tell application "Finder"
	set targetFolder to choose folder
	set jobNumber to text returned of (display dialog "Enter Job Number" default answer "")
	set jobTitle to text returned of (display dialog "Enter Job Title" default answer "")
	do shell script "/bin/mkdir -p " & quoted form of POSIX path of targetFolder & "/" & quoted form of (jobNumber & "_" & jobTitle) & folderStructure
	set topFolder to targetFolder
	repeat with drillDown in (get every folder of folder topFolder)
		try
			repeat with everyFolder in (get every folder of folder (drillDown as alias))
				try
					if exists (folder of everyFolder whose name is "Production") then
						duplicate mycopypath to folder "Production" of everyFolder with replacing
					end if
				on error errorText
					display dialog errorText
				end try
			end repeat
		end try
	end repeat
end tell

First of all the Finder is not needed at all except to copy the checklist file

The code asks to choose the checklist file. Later replace the choose file line with a full HFS path

set checkList to "Macintosh HD:Users:MyUser:path:to:checklist.txt"
set targetFolder to choose folder with prompt "Choose target folder"
set checkList to (choose file with prompt "Chosse CheckList file") as text

set jobNumber to getParameter for "Enter Job Number"
set jobTitle to getParameter for "Enter Job Title"
set baseFolder to (targetFolder as text) & jobNumber & "_" & jobTitle
set folderStructure to "/{'Design'/{'1. Working','2. Output','3. Assets','4. Ref'},'Artwork'/{'• Final Artwork','• Previous Proof','Images Hi Res','PDFs'},'Copy'/{'• Previous Proof','• Copy Brief'},'Production'/{'Briefs','Estimates','Feedback','PDFs','Production','QA (Signoff)','Scope (SOW)','Specs','Timings'},'Creative'/{'1. Working','2. Output','3. Assets','4. Ref'}}"

tell application "Finder" to duplicate file checkList to folder "Production" of folder baseFolder

on getParameter for prompt
	repeat
		display dialog prompt default answer ""
		set parameter to text returned of result
		if result is not "" then return parameter
	end repeat
end getParameter