Getting iCal to speak alarms with Event Data

I had an idea that I’d like to create a script applet that iCal can launch, which essentially says:

"Excuse me, but you have a reminder: <Event Title> at <Event Start Time>"

I’d like to pass to it the event that summoned the alarm, so that Event Title and Time are passed to the speech, rather than as a generic string.
I’ve tried Automator saved as an applet (which comes close, but can’t seem to do the job) or Applescript and so far I’m stymied.

Anyone have any ideas how to pass the event details to the script that it is launching? Or do I need to create another method of passing the info (like a separate calendar and or text file & shell script combo for spoken alerts, or some other more complex arrangement).

So basically, you need a trick to find out in the script which event triggered its execution. There’s probably a better way, but this gets it done…

tell application “iCal”
set theCalendar to the first calendar whose title is “My Schedule”
set theDateTime to current date
set theEvent to the last event of theCalendar whose start date is less than or equal to theDateTime and end date is greater than or equal to theDateTime

-- get the date/time/event name and build the speak string

end tell

– speak the info

Does this assume that the alarm is at the same time as the event? I guess I’m not clear what the last event of theCalendar is.