Growl and Folder action problem

Hi,
Could someone please take a look at the following script and tell this Newbie what I have done wrong.

Thanks in advance.

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
tell application “GrowlHelperApp” – ** the daemon that is behind the scenes
– Make a list of all the notification types that this script will ever send:
– ** They really mean “ever” or you’ll have to reregister.
set the allNotificationsList to {“Downloading”}

-- Make a list of the notifications that will be enabled by default. 
	-- ** We'll see shortly that a note must be enabled and the user can disable it.
	-- Notifications not enabled by default can be enabled later in the 'Applications' tab of the growl prefpane.
	set the enabledNotificationsList to {"Downloading"}

-- Register our script with growl.
	-- You can optionally (as here) set a default icon for this script's notifications.
	-- ** Theoretically, you only have to register once, but there is absolutely no harm in doing
	-- it every time the script runs, <i>i.e.</i>, leaving this line in your script.
	register as application "Downloading" all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications enabledNotificationsList icon of application "Finder"

--	Send a Notification...
	-- This one will appear because it was enabled by default.
	notify with name "Downloading" title "Info :" description "Download In Progress." application name "Downloading"
end tell

end adding folder items to

Welcome Richard,

It is not clear from your post what you want to do or what the problem is. It helps if you put that info in. :slight_smile:

I did notice you are not doing anything with the items being downloaded so I added to the script to display the names of the items.

But Like I said not sure what you goal is?

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
	set item_names to ""
	repeat with i from 1 to number of items in these_items
		set this_item to item i of these_items
		tell application "Finder"
			set item_names to item_names & "[ " & displayed name of this_item & " ]" & return as Unicode text

end tell
	end repeat
	tell application "GrowlHelperApp" -- ** the daemon that is behind the scenes
		-- Make a list of all the notification types that this script will ever send: 
		-- ** They really mean "ever" or you'll have to reregister.
		set the allNotificationsList to {"Downloading"}

-- Make a list of the notifications that will be enabled by default. 
		-- ** We'll see shortly that a note must be enabled and the user can disable it.
		-- Notifications not enabled by default can be enabled later in the 'Applications' tab of the growl prefpane.
		set the enabledNotificationsList to {"Downloading"}

-- Register our script with growl.
		-- You can optionally (as here) set a default icon for this script's notifications.
		-- ** Theoretically, you only have to register once, but there is absolutely no harm in doing
		-- it every time the script runs, <i>i.e.</i>, leaving this line in your script.
		register as application "Downloading" all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications enabledNotificationsList icon of application "Finder"

--    Send a Notification...
		-- This one will appear because it was enabled by default.
		notify with name "Downloading" title "Info :" description item_names application name "Downloading"
	end tell
end adding folder items to

Hi,

Sorry - I was soooooo tired and frustrated last night that I forgot to explain what I was trying to achieve.

What I want to do is :

When I download a file to the downloads folder/stack in leopard, I want “Growl” to display a notice informing me that the download is complete.

Sounds simple but my script doesn’t seem to do anything ???

Thanks.

Have a look in the Growl extras folder

Thanks, BUT, GrowlSafari is not compatible with Leopard, so that solution is out of the question - that’s why I need to do it via Applescript and Folder Actions.