GUI scripting for non-English systems?

I am working on a script that uses GUI Scripting to test for (and, if necessary) change the setting in the Keyboard preference pane “Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.” So my script includes a line like this one:

click checkbox ""Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

Is there a way to write the script so that it will work correctly on French, German, Italian, and any other system? Or must I test the system system language and use a variable that contains each of the different strings for each language?

Thank you for any advice and help.

To answer my own question: the answer is to use numbered items, not the text of the items. For example, the following will reset the “Use F1, F2, etc.” checkbox to blank. I wrote this script so that it can be launched when I run the DOSBox DOS emulator software; the script that launches DOSBox tests whether the Fn keys are used as standard Fn keys, and, if they are not so used, it checks that “Use F1, F2” box. This script will in the background while DOSBox is running, and reset the checkbox when it closes.

on run
	set dosRunning to true
	repeat until dosRunning = false
		tell application "System Events"
			set dosRunning to (application process "DOSBox" exists)
			delay 1
		end tell
	end repeat

set prefsRunning to false
		if (name of processes) contains "System Preferences" then
			set prefsRunning to true
		end if
	end tell
	tell application "System Preferences"
		if prefsRunning is true then
			set currentPane to current pane
			set flag to true
			try
				currentPane -- errors if current pane is empty
			on error
				set flag to false
			end try
		end if
		reveal anchor 1 of pane id "com.apple.preference.keyboard" -- anchor 1 is anchor "KeyboardTab"
	end tell
		if UI elements enabled then
			tell application process "System Preferences"
				-- checkbox 1 below is checkbox "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" 
				-- window 1 below is window "Keyboard"
				if value of checkbox 1 of tab group 1 of window 1 is 1 then
					click checkbox 1 of tab group 1 of window 1
				end if
			end tell
				if prefsRunning is false then
					quit
				else
					if flag then
						set current pane to currentPane
					else
						set show all to true
					end if
				end if
			end tell
		else
			-- GUI scripting not enabled.
				activate
				set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.universalaccess"
				display dialog "GUI scripting must be enabled for me to reset your keyboard preferences." & return & return & "Please check the box next to \"Enable access for assistive devices\". " buttons {"OK"}
			end tell
		end if
	end tell
end run

I realize this is probably very inefficient, but it seems to work, thanks to the help of many posts on this forum!