HELP! Running AppleScript to run a Filemaker Script in the BACKGROUND

Hello to all, I hope you can help me out!

I have developed the next script:

tell application “FileMaker Pro”
Activate
do script “The Script”
end tell

This script woks fine but it brings FileMaker to the front, so I desided to remove the “Activate” text

do script “The Script”
end tell

It works ok… but know the finder pops out a dialog that said “FileMaker Pro requires your attention” and the fileMaker icon in the dock is jumping!!! I belive this grabs more attention than the first script! Is There a way of doing this with NO application response of any type???

Note: I am running my computer with system 10.4 and FileMaker 6.0 Developer and cliente (both)

Thank you for your time!

Brian Donovan
Mexico City

What’s The Script? You’ve eliminated down to that…
SC

Thanks for replaying!!! the current script is:

do script “The Script”
end tell

As simple as this, but for some reason it only works in you have FileMaker as the frontmost application if it is not then a dialog comes out and the FileMaker Icon in the dock starts to jump!

Brian

I undestand now the question, OK it only happends the dialog stuff if I trigger the script from a remote machine if I do it localy it brings Filemaker to the front, this only happends if the applescript Triggers a Filemaker Script, so my question is still the same

¿ how can I trigger a FileMaker Script from an AppleScript witout bringing Filemaker to the front???

Brian Donovan
Mexico City

I think folks are still a bit short of information here, Brian.

1. What does the the Filemaker script “The Script” actually do?

2. Once you get the “FileMaker Pro requires your attention” jumping bean icon, what happens when you switch to Filemaker? Does it display a dialog? If so, what does it say? Is it a dialog presented by “The Script” - or an error message?

Questions, questions… :wink:

Sorry! you are right here gose the hole story.

I am trying to develop a AppleScript that will trigger a Filemaker script from FileMaker to another Filemaker in a remote computer. I first developed a Simple Script and pasted into a global Script to activate it. The Script looked like this:

tell application “FileMaker Pro” of machine “eppc://guest:password@000.00.00.00”
do script “The Script”
end tell

This worked OK but if the Filemaker has a dialgo or is doing a sort or printing the AppleScripts waits for the appplication responce from the remote computer, as a result we get a script that could delay for a long time. I then added some extra code to my script:

ignoring application responses
tell application “FileMaker Pro” of machine “eppc://guest:password@000.00.00.00”
do script “The Script”
end tell
end ignoring

This works OK only if it is run from an AppleScript application BUT once pasted into a FileMaker Script it does not work like it should and again it will wait for the application responce.

My next idea was to create an AppleScritp in all remote coputers that will always be opened and I could be tringer from a remote coputer The scripts look like this:

1- Local Computer AppleScript:

tell application “Script01” of machine “eppc://guest:password@000.00.00.00”
run
end tell

2- Remote coputer AppleScript (stay open AppleScript):

tell application “System Events”
set XXXX to name of every application process
if XXXX contains “FileMaker Pro” then
try
ignoring application responses
do script “The Script”
end tell
end ignoring
end try
end if
end tell

3- The Script to trigger in filemaker:

Fluch Cache to disk
if( test is valid)
Go to layout 1
else
go to layout 2
end if
Refresh

This worked OK but while beeng betatested some bugs came out:

Bug 1- If the Filemaker Application is not the front application it comes out the dialgo that we all know. and to answer the question you made once you bring Filemaker to the front the Script is triggered with no problems.
Bug 2- if the Filemaker window is collapsed it will not trigger the script

ho! and just for the record I replace the FileMaker Script with a “beep” and it still does the same.

Well I think thats the hole story!

Thank you for your time!

Brian Donovan
Mexico City