Help to open a specific folder

Hello everyone. 1st time poster here. I am just learning applescript and of course I’m impatient and want to do something without reading the whole book, so to speak. If someone knows of a ˜phrase book’ kind of site for applescript, that would be great.

I’m looking to simply open a new window of a specific folder on a specific drive already mounted on my system. Using this path, how would I open a new window in column view…

Trevor’s HD > Users > trevor > Desktop

I’ve alread figured out how to give the user a selection of several drives, let them pick, and then that volume mounts on their system. I want to take it to the next step and give them the exact window/folder they should be at. Any help would be great. Thanks!

I assume you’re talking about OS X, in which case this thread is moving to the correct forum.

Yes I am talking about OSX. Thanks.

Do you know about dictionaries? You may also be interested in the AppleScript Language Guide.

Basically, you want something like this:

tell application "Finder"
	activate
	open "Trevor's HD:Users:trevor:Desktop:"
	tell front Finder window to set current view to column view
end tell

However, you could also use this:

set theFolder to path to desktop

tell application "Finder"
	activate
	open theFolder
	tell front Finder window to set current view to column view
end tell

thanks Bruce. Both work good, but it’s the 1st one that i will use seeing as the Desktop folder i want to open is not my own, it’s the mounted volume of a co-worker. Thanks a lot.