Help with iPhoto slideshow?

Hi there!

I’m a bit green to AppleScript and I’ve tried to do this with automator but automator can’t do what I need, so here’s the deal…I have slideshows that I made in iPhoto that are all different ie…different transitions and whatnot. The problem is I cannot use automator or find an applescript command to call up the slideshows I already created and play them. All I can find is how to point to a folder and have iPhoto start a slideshow from scratch. This doesn’t work for me because I already made the slideshows how I want them. I don’t want iPhoto to make a new show out of my photos, just to run the show I already made. Any ideas? Please and thank you for your help!

Hi djaerich

try the below (untested)

tell application “iPhoto”
activate
set theShow to “test” – name of your slide show
start slideshow theShow
end tell

forgot to add this link also:
http://www.apple.com/applescript/bluetooth/iphoto.html

this may help also: (untested)

activate
set _PickShow to display dialog “Pick a Slide Show” default answer “” buttons {“Cancel”, “OK”} default button 1
if button returned of _PickShow is “OK” then
set theShow to text returned of _PickShow
start slideshow theShow
end if
end tell

Thanks Budgie for the quick response. I tried the script and it opens iPhoto fine but I’m afraid the (set theShow to “name_of_slideshow”) doesn’t work. Any other thoughts?
Thank you!

the iPhoto dictionary says:

start slideshow‚v : Display a slideshow with the currently-selected photos or album.
start slideshow reference : the object for the command
[using album Unicode text] : The the name of the album to display as a slideshow. If no album name is provided, the currently-selected album is used.

and to stop a slide show:

stop slideshow‚v : End the currently-displaying slideshow.
stop slideshow reference : the object for the command

(untested)

activate
start slideshow “test slide show” using album “test” – your presaved slideshow (test slide show) in album (test)
end tell

Sounds good in theory but no go :confused:
I never thought this would be so tough to do. Oy Apple.

sorry about that, I have iPhoto 4.0.3, im guessing you may have a newer version, maybe you could have a look at what the iPhoto dictionary says for your version, their maybe a change in wording?, if their is post it back.

another stab at it (untested)

activate
set _show to select “test slide show” as alias
start slideshow _show
end tell

Ok, your problem is that you are not telling iPhoto what arguments you are using in the “start slideshow” call. Here is an example of how to get it working

activate
start slideshow using album “Slideshow Name”
end tell