HotKey script activation changes GUI script behavior...

Hello,

The script below resizes Safari to full screen (on a MBP 15 inch) and hides the bookmarks bar and the toolbar. If Safari is already full screen, it unhides the two and resizes the window to a smaller size.

tell application "Safari" activate if bounds of window 1 is not equal to {0, 22, 1440, 900} then tell application "System Events" keystroke "b" using {command down, shift down} keystroke "|" using command down end tell set bounds of window 1 to {0, 22, 1440, 900} else delay 0.1 tell application "System Events" keystroke "b" using {command down, shift down} keystroke "|" using command down end tell set bounds of window 1 to {160, 80, 980, 700} end if end tell
The script works fine when run from Script Editor or Quicksilver, or when selecting it from FastScripts (a menu bar utility to launch scripts). But - very strangely - when I assign it a keyboard shortcut (either through FastScripts or Quicksilver), the GUI elements of the script won’t work. It still resizes the window fine, but the toolbar and bookmark bar won’t hide/show.

I was hoping that someone might have some insight into this - situation. Nothing in my searches yielded any. Is it something in my script? Something specific to GUI scripting?

Cheers.

Hi,

for GUI scripting the process of System Events should be specified
try this

activate application "Safari"
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Safari"
		keystroke "b" using {command down, shift down}
		keystroke "|" using command down
	end tell
end tell
tell application "Safari"
	if bounds of window 1 is not equal to {0, 22, 1440, 900} then
		set bounds of window 1 to {0, 22, 1440, 900}
	else
		set bounds of window 1 to {160, 80, 980, 700}
	end if
end tell

Thanks Stefan - That’s great advice that I’ll certainly make use of in future scripts.

Strangely, though, the problem persists. Even

activate application "Safari"
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Safari"
		keystroke "b" using {command down, shift down}
		keystroke "|" using command down
	end tell
end tell

won’t run from a keyboard shortcut in either FastScripts or Quicksilver, although it runs perfectly fine from Script Editor, or when explicitly selected in either of the apps. I suppose I’ll try a few more keyboard launchers before I give up - but I can’t see a logical reason for this, so it’s a bit frustrating.

In any case, thanks again for the help! Much appreciated.

I’ve found a solution to the problem - in the form of a reply from the maker of FastScripts:

It makes perfect sense as I was using the Command key in my shortcut to call the script.

Again, thanks to Stefan for your help!