How a result get returned

Hello,
OK- I am just curious here, but when a result gets returned in a list like below from the following script, is there a way to have it just list the items and not the path of each item?
just curious
thanks
babs

tell application "Finder"
	get every document file of folder "06 work files" of folder "quark8" of folder "Quark" of folder "iBabs All training" of folder "school files" of folder "Documents" of home whose {"qxd"} contains name extension

end tell

the result
{document file “index palette.qxd” of folder “06 work files” of folder “quark8” of folder “Quark” of folder “iBabs All training” of folder “school files” of folder “Documents” of folder “barbarapress” of folder “Users” of startup disk, document file “layers palette.qxd” of folder “06 work files” of folder “quark8” of folder “Quark” of folder “iBabs All training” of folder “school files” of folder “Documents” of folder “barbarapress” of folder “Users” of startup disk, document file “lists palette.qxd” of folder “06 work files” of folder “quark8” of folder “Quark” of folder “iBabs All training” of folder “school files” of folder “Documents” of folder “barbarapress” of folder “Users” of startup disk, document file “measurements palette.qxd” of folder “06 work files” of folder “quark8” of folder “Quark” of folder “iBabs All training” of folder “school files” of folder “Documents” of folder “barbarapress” of folder “Users” of startup disk, document file “sunflower news.qxd” of folder “06 work files” of folder “quark8” of folder “Quark” of folder “iBabs All training” of folder “school files” of folder “Documents” of folder “barbarapress” of folder “Users” of startup disk}

Hi,

the list doesn’t contain paths, it contains indeed objects (Finder file specifier).
BTW: I doubt that this works

whose {"qxd"} contains name extension

the correct syntax is

whose name extension is in {"qxd"}

or

whose name extension is "qxd"

Hi,
For some reason, I pasted the wrong code…this was the code:

every document file of folder "06 work files" of folder "quark8" of folder "Quark" of folder "iBabs All training" of folder "school files" of folder "Documents" of home whose name extension is in {"qxd"}

I guess I was trying to figure out if rather than it find every .qxd file and supply the path, of folder of folder of folder etc…that it only lists the actual file names in the result and nothing else. something more like this:

“index palette.qxd”, “lists palette.qxd”, “measurements palette.qxd”

just the items themselves…

sorry, that is what I meant :wink:
babs

To get only the name of several files use this syntax:

get name of every item of (path to documents folder)
end tell

Hope it helps,
ief2

You gave the answer yourself: http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=33253

@ief2-thanks but that still gives me a reault with all the folder names it is nested in. I was looking mfore for a list that only gave the item names, like this in the result box, stripping out all the folder info.

index palette.qxd
layers palette.qxd
lists palette.qxd
measurements palette.qxd
sunflower news.qxd

or like this:

{index palette.qxd, layers palette.qxd, lists palette.qxd, measurements palette.qxd, sunflower news.qxd}

@Stefen- I did?? :rolleyes: oy!!!

This will ask you for a folder and than return the name of every file whose name extension is “qxd”.

set myFolder to (choose folder)
	get name of every file of myFolder whose name extension is "qxd"
end tell

In the meanwhile, I suggest to have a quick look at the basic tutorials here at MacScripter. There good and structured, and you won’t have to go through 250 pages before learning how to create variables.

Hope it helps,
ief2

Hi ief2,
that works :wink:

…and thanks for the link to the area with basic tutorials…the more stuff I have to study…the better :cool:

thanks!!
babs